• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple noobish XP-90 questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I know there was a thread on this, but can't find it in search.

Navi gets a new HSF; I have an XP-90 and 92mm Panaflo, and finally the workspace to install it. I gather that heatpipe orientation doesn't matter. What I can't quite recall is the fan orientation. My stock CPU fan is pushing air outward away from the sink. Is it better to have the fan on an XP sucking air into/across the sink or blowing it out?

What's the best way to remove the stock HS mounting bracket from the motherboard? Thermalright says nailpolish remover; I gather that acetone content doesn't matter much (not sure what I have).

Usually HS fans blow onto the hs.
What's the best way to remove the stock HS mounting bracket from the motherboard? Thermalright says nailpolish remover; I gather that acetone content doesn't matter much (not sure what I have).
Are you referring to thermal paste remover because you should use 99% isopropal rubbing alcohol. You want as little water as possible in the solution.

Last edited:
Most would tell you it is better for the fan to blow down onto the PCB. That configuration usually provides the best temps, but for some, it may very well be different. This has never been the case for me, though.

As for the other question, I don't know. :p

the mounting bracket should not require you to use anything like acetone. Mine removed easily on both Athlon64 setups when i removed the screws holding it to the backplate. i can't see why it should be an issue.

Depending on how your airflow is set up, push may be better than pull. My XP-90 did better pushing, unless the fan was moving serious air, in which case pulling did better. Best to say you should experiment and see. Not hard to change the fan orientation ;)

Most people use fans blowing downward, because with case fans, the surrounding cooler air will get blown into it, and it'll help dissipate heat faster. I'd say try both ways, most likely blowing downward would be better, share you results :)

dreamstalker, i've experimented on a non-heatpipe heatsink, slk-948. pushing air into the heatsinks helps cool the mobo's mosfets and ram. this is helpful when your rear case fan is blowing air in.

i have also setup my fan to pulling air out of the the heatsink with me rear case fans exhausiting.

they both work but it depends on your case's fan configuration. pulling air out of the heatsink is alot quieter as well.

play around with it an monitor your temps.

at the present moment i have the fan pushing air into the heatsink for the reason mentioned above. its a louder this way but i need to cool the mosfets on my mobo.

Know Nuttin said:
the mounting bracket should not require you to use anything like acetone. Mine removed easily on both Athlon64 setups when i removed the screws holding it to the backplate. i can't see why it should be an issue.
Aha. Thermalright says to use nailpolish remover...not sure why (possibly glue was used in addition to the screws on some boards). Oh well; I'll see what happens. Fan orientation is easy enough to change.

Yeah, I have the rear fan exhausting with front as intake. Only the rear fan is working with the controller for some reason (had that happen before but can't recall what I did to fix it); doesn't appear to be a big deal though.

Back