• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird overclocking 6800GT.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

I can overclock my card's core quite a bit before artifacts start appearing, in fact I don't start getting artifacts (as detected by ATI Tool/rthbl demo and my own eye) until the 450 range. My problem is that when clocked this high it will play a game or demo or anything I throw at it for between 1-30 minutes and then out of nowhere the entire screen turns into blocky artifacts. These aren't the memory type artifacts that I know from my old 9800 Pro (triangles etc.), the entire screen just fills up instantly with blocks of artifacts that look like plaid cloth.

With my 9800 Pro, I would get artifacts with textures with too high of a core and also water, and too high of memory I'd get wierd triangular spikes on the screen. With my 6800GT if I clock it high enough (core) I will get texture-like artifacts like on my 9800 Pro but only if I clock it far past the point that it goes to plaid. I was wondering what was causing my artifacts to appear in this manner, I've never had a graphics card that will completely turn a screen to artifacts instantly without showing any at all prior.

The card is watercooled and never gets over 55ish on full load so I don't think it's the core overheating. Memory clock doesn't seem to affect the whole screen artifacts either.

Any help would be appreciated. If nVidia cards artifact like this regularly and I just don't know about it that's news to me, but then again I've always been an ATI guy since the GeForce 3 so I wouldn't entirely know. Thanks for the help!

Derek.

I thought it might be heat, but it's just so weird that there's no sign of artifacts for x minutes then the whole screen goes haywire. I might invest in some better cooling, because I've gotten some pretty awesome overclocks on this thing before it decides to artifact out on me.

Do you have it volt modded? My card did that when I had the bios set to1.4v in 3d.

It isn't volt modded, I had it volt modded in the past but brought it back to stock voltage after finding it didn't overclock much more.

Back