• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezes after 30min. - 1hr.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 9 fans hooked up to 3 MOBO headers. It freezes up when I turn the fans to 100%. I want the best temps I can get for performance. Besides I like the white noise. Yes, they were on the MSI page. Did you look at the pic. I posted? Why do 2 of the same sticks look different?

I looked at the pic you posted, I have no idea why the stickers are different on the RAM. You can check out CPUz and see what it says for IC's and such to see if they match. But for now, I'd reload Windows and only run ONE set of RAM WITHOUT enabling XMP and see if it works for a couple of days. If so, enable XMP and see if that works with two sticks.

I have 9 fans hooked up to 3 MOBO headers. It freezes up when I turn the fans to 100%.
Uhh, what fans? Are you close to or overloading the headers with them? It may be your motherboard if this is the case. Alternatively, what are you using to turn up the fans? Software? If you set the fans to 100% from the BIOS, does it still freeze (if you don't see where I'm going, this would isolate that it's a software or windows/RAM issue)??

I want the best temps I can get for performance.
You realize that the difference between 100% fans and 50% in your chassis is likely only a couple of degrees and a performance loss you'd never notice (if there is any in the first place). So...maybe set those lower so that problem doesn't happen.

I have no clue if I'm overloading the headers or not. I have a set fan curve in my BIOS. All I know is I paid 3600mhz money and I'm getting 2100mhz money. I want my money back. Or a different mobo. Never another MSI mobo again.

I have no clue if I'm overloading the headers or not. I have a set fan curve in my BIOS.
Look! The fan hubs (inside) tell you the amperage/wattage of the fans (or look it up at the fan MFG website). If you look in your manual, it shows you how much power each header supports. If it's close to that value, you're likely overloading the headers (BAD!). Try taking a fan off each header and see if it still does that. If not, you know it's power on the headers causing that freeze.

All I know is I paid 3600mhz money and I'm getting 2100mhz money. I want my money back. Or a different mobo. Never another MSI mobo again.
You're off the rails with the blame game... with respect, you(we) have no idea what's going on and blaming the motherboard (when you could have damaged it piggybacking fans).

Last edited:
Generally motherboard fan headers are rated for 1.0 amp (but you need to RTFM to be sure). For example, if your fans are rated at 0.3 amp, then three on a header are fine (3 x 0.3a = 0.9a). If those fans are rated for 0.35 amp, that could be a problem (3 x 0.35a = 1.05a).

I 'm using 9 lian li uni AL120's.
So much for teaching a man to fish - I even told you one way to find it! I'll look it up for ya..... :p :rofl:

Each of those fans is 5.94W... 3 x 6 = 18W, or WELL over the 1A/12W limit. This is from your motherboard manual...

mobo.jpg

Just in case you haven't put it together already...if you have 3 of those fans piggybacked on one SYS_FAN header, it's taking WAY TOO MUCH power from it. Two per header is incredibly close to the 1A/12W max, even (5.94 x 2 = 11.88) so it may or may not work there.

I 'm using 9 lian li uni AL120's. Not sure how much that takes. So I should buy a 1300 PSU?
No. That doesn't add output to the motherboard... if the manual says 1A/12W, it doesn't matter if you have a 500W PSU or 1600W PSU, the headers don't change.

So basically I'm just stressing the mobo? Guess ill have to go back to the lian li's fan hub. I hate their software though.

So basically I'm just stressing the mobo? Guess ill have to go back to the lian li's fan hub. I hate their software though.
Yes... and hopefully you haven't irreparably damaged it. Taking too much power from those headers can easily damage other parts/take the whole board out.

Because you have so many fans and each header would be stressed to its max, I would absolutely use the hub (which I'm assuming connects to the power supply in some way, right?). From here, get your fan situation straightened out (please check back with how you did it so we can confirm it's right), then let's see about the memory again or if it was simply the fans ramping up that caused the instability.

But let's not hang MSI, meng. This is user error and just not understanding the hardware/how it works. It happens.

So. I went to Micro Center and bought a new mobo and ddr5 ram. I bought the wrong one though (damn alcohol). Got the Strix-f instead of the Strix-e. Does anyone know why the Strix-e is that much better?

I found out what it was. I put my 2080 back in here and for 8hrs. no freezes or problems. So asurion said that they're going to fix or replace the 3080ti.

I found out what it was. I put my 2080 back in here and for 8hrs. no freezes or problems. So asurion said that they're going to fix or replace the 3080ti.
Who's asurion?

How do you know its the gpu? According to the words you posted, you replaced the board and ram too. How do you know it wasn't that? Also, this happened while you weren't gaming you said...

... so confused how you came up with the gpu being the problem...

Some kind of insurance on Amazon.
Post magically merged:

Who's asurion?

How do you know its the gpu? According to the words you posted, you replaced the board and ram too. How do you know it wasn't that? Also, this happened while you weren't gaming you said...

... so confused how you came up with the gpu being the problem...
I havent replaced the mobo or the RAM yet.

Alright, so I removed all 9 lian li fans from the mobo and installed them back on their fan hub. I also removed the gpu riser (phanteks). The new graphics card hasn't froze or anything bad in about 24 hours. Not sure what it was , but something worked. I still have the asus rog strix-f and 2x16 trident z ddr5 c36 6000 unopened. So technically I could return them for a full refund with the next week or so. But I've decided to keep this idea since my nephew will be moving out soon and I plan on giving him the tomahawk board, 16gb corsair dominator ram, and my rtx 2080. Should be just fine for and 8 year old. I now have two questions for you guys. 1. Is the strix-f that much worse than the strix-e?
2. I'll be keeping my 12700k and either putting in an i3-21000 or an i5-24000 in the tomahawk for him. Should I pay the extra 50$ for the strix-e? Would the i3-21000 still be cent for him in 3 years?

Oh............you're using a riser ribbon thing for PCIe. Yeah, those can go bad REALLY easily! To see if it's the riser card..............use it. The fans were ANOTHER problem, I'd imagine..

1. No
2. No.
3. He's eight, so I'd imagine so..

:)

Yeah, I don't know why I never even thought about the riser card. Thanks for all the info guys! So far it looks like I won't have to send the 3080ti back after all. Thank God!

Back