• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Device --> Audio Port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XRoader_UK

Registered
Hey,

I just bought an Abit AN8-SLi which comes with a seperate chip for audio (it's included in the motherboard but not on-board) and I stupidly purchased the SpeedLink USB Medusa 5.1, which has an onboard sound card. However, since the sound card included in the motherboard (7.1 channel) is better than the sound card included in the headphones (5.1 channel) I'd much rather use the sound card included in the motherboard.

So, is there a connector which converts a USB device into something which could fit into an audio port, if not, what can I do?

Thanks in Advance
Tom

the sound card that is included with the motherboard may not be better than the ones on your headphones, just because something supports more channels absolutely doesn't mean the sound quality is better, furthermore onboard sound tends to "bleed" - which may not be the case since it's on a detachable card on your mobo

i don't think there is a way you can put those headphones in audio ports, and the headphones would process the sound anyway since the soundcard is integrated into the headphones

since the headphones are already 5.1 you already have surround, 5.1 or 7.1 is still surround, i say try out the headphones and use the mobo sound for speakers

Thanks for the reply.

It's unfortunate there seems to be no solution (without buying new headphones) but in all fairness, the headphones are great for gaming and good for music. I suppose I could get some speakers for music and films but I'm going university next year and am not sure what it'd be like there with music on.

Back