• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling a PIII 800Mhz Slot 1 Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLucci

my title says it all. I have a Pentium III 800 MHz slot 1 machine that I had built up in an old Pentium II server case. Although this case was fairly well perforated with holes for ventilation temperatures near the chip (especially during the summer) run between 95 and 110° Fahrenheit and the machine will lock up approximately every three days. The temperature of my computer room runs a very warm 85° Fahrenheit even when the air-conditioning is set for 75 for the rest of the house. Since the temperature here in Houston, Texas has begun to take a dive the ambient temperature in the computer room has dropped to between 65 and 78° Fahrenheit and with the help of a large box fan I've been able to control the temperature in this particular computer and keep it in the 80s; consequently, the lockup problem that I had been experiencing has disappeared. Although my solution is cheap and effective it's also extremely noisy which I find especially bad in light of the fact that I'm heavily into speech recognition which requires a quiet environment.

I'm convinced that this particular Pentium III is overheating as an air cooled machine; consequently, I would like to take the plunge and convert it to water cooling. The problem I have because I have no experience with fabrication is finding the appropriate water block to do the conversion with. More importantly finding a water block that comes with fittings that would work with a slot 1 processor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this conversion? All advice is greatly appreciated!

sincerely,

John Lucci

[email protected]

JLucci said:
my title says it all. I have a Pentium III 800 MHz slot 1 machine that I had built up in an old Pentium II server case. Although this case was fairly well perforated with holes for ventilation temperatures near the chip (especially during the summer) run between 95 and 110° Fahrenheit and the machine will lock up approximately every three days. The temperature of my computer room runs a very warm 85° Fahrenheit even when the air-conditioning is set for 75 for the rest of the house. Since the temperature here in Houston, Texas has begun to take a dive the ambient temperature in the computer room has dropped to between 65 and 78° Fahrenheit and with the help of a large box fan I've been able to control the temperature in this particular computer and keep it in the 80s; consequently, the lockup problem that I had been experiencing has disappeared. Although my solution is cheap and effective it's also extremely noisy which I find especially bad in light of the fact that I'm heavily into speech recognition which requires a quiet environment.

I'm convinced that this particular Pentium III is overheating as an air cooled machine; consequently, I would like to take the plunge and convert it to water cooling. The problem I have because I have no experience with fabrication is finding the appropriate water block to do the conversion with. More importantly finding a water block that comes with fittings that would work with a slot 1 processor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this conversion? All advice is greatly appreciated!

sincerely,

John Lucci

[email protected]

those sound like normal temps to me. 38 degrees celc= about 100 degrees F. idk. do those chips overheat at 38 celc? that would be weird. It sounds like spyware or something to me if it is shutting down.

Aidenswarrior said:
those sound like normal temps to me. 38 degrees celc= about 100 degrees F. idk. do those chips overheat at 38 celc? that would be weird. It sounds like spyware or something to me if it is shutting down.

actually, this particular machine in question is running Microsoft anti-spy ware with the 3 am scan activated, plus once a week I go in with spy bot and adaware. I would not be surprised if there were a piece a spyware on there; however, this PC almost never is used to surf the Web. I'm running Norton antivirus 2005 with its own weekly scan so I know it's not a virus. When it locks up it's usually with a broad fuzzy band at the top of the screen. Under other circumstances I would think that it was a problem with the motherboard or video card; however, the problem has gone away once the ambient air temperature in the room dropped down below 80°F which makes me believe that it is a heat related problem.

JLucci said:
Under other circumstances I would think that it was a problem with the motherboard or video card; however, the problem has gone away once the ambient air temperature in the room dropped down below 80°F which makes me believe that it is a heat related problem.
So why do you not think it may be the MOBO or GPU "heat related" problem?

if you want to water cool or extreme air cool that machine you'll more than likely have to get custom work done for it. b/c i havent seen anything really for something that old. and im talking about this experience from trying to find good coolers at good prices for even a SOCKET A! lol

billb said:
So why do you not think it may be the MOBO or GPU "heat related" problem?

It's could be a heat related MOBO or GPU problem now that you mention it. Because as I have observed the problem has gone away with the reduction of the ambient room temperature. Theoretically I could patially watercool it; however, If I'm going to do it I really need to take care of the biggest heat generator the CPU as well.

Just for the heck of it, Slot 1/A waterblocks did exist. Dig around in the overclockers.com water cooling area archives a few years ago and you will see the blocks there. Good luck finding one today though. Most were aluminum too.

DIY is also a route with the blocks as well.

JLucci said:
It's could be a heat related MOBO or GPU problem now that you mention it. Because as I have observed the problem has gone away with the reduction of the ambient room temperature. Theoretically I could patially watercool it; however, If I'm going to do it I really need to take care of the biggest heat generator the CPU as well.
I'm writing this on a socket 1 Plll 550 I dragged out while the setup in my sig is apart waiting for "new parts". The fan and shroud on the Pll were FILTHY with dust from years of neglect (not to mention the case and everything else inside). Have you checked? just a suggestion.

billb said:
I'm writing this on a socket 1 Plll 550 I dragged out while the setup in my sig is apart waiting for "new parts". The fan and shroud on the Pll were FILTHY with dust from years of neglect (not to mention the case and everything else inside). Have you checked? just a suggestion.

I routinely give the machine in question a canned air treatment. The heat sink looks new. Good Thought though!

Check the caps around the cpu slot, they maybe on their way out. Common problem around that era.
Look at the tops of caps, they should be flat if they are ok. Look around bottom of caps for leaking. The fuild used was of poor quality, so even if they look ok, they may not be performing well.
I remember there were real bad batchs of caps a few years ago, in the millions. The particular ones I had on two different boards failed, brand name was Jackcon and they were green colored.

Strange what happens when you reply to threads!

I'm in a local mom and pop computer store (they do alot of Asus stuff) to see if they could get an A8n32-SLI Deluxe and some video cards, and I'm shooting the breese with the guy about watercooling (he had done some for customers) and he says he has one of these http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=kryotech.shtml that he couldn't get working and would I like to take it FOR FREE! Since I have a lathe and mill in the basement and can make a block to fit I'm going to try it out on a Plll 550!

Water cooling Pentium III 800 MHz slot 1 processor at stock speeds is totally unnecessary (even not worth overclocking with water in nov 2005).

Use a compressed air and clean the cpu fan and heatsink of dust.
Fix the problem by trouble shooting, removing/changing different parts.

Strange replys? the topic name is strange.

billb said:
Strange what happens when you reply to threads!

I'm in a local mom and pop computer store (they do alot of Asus stuff) to see if they could get an A8n32-SLI Deluxe and some video cards, and I'm shooting the breese with the guy about watercooling (he had done some for customers) and he says he has one of these http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=kryotech.shtml that he couldn't get working and would I like to take it FOR FREE! Since I have a lathe and mill in the basement and can make a block to fit I'm going to try it out on a Plll 550!
WOA lol phase for a p3..i wonder how much good that'd do you :D
if you hit 1ghz ill laugh my *** off

Back