• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse Storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok so i got really bored today and i decided to mod something, i decided my mouse needed more storage...so i went to staples and got a 32 meg thumb drive for $7.98 and wired up a quicko harness and tried er out....but theres a problem...oh and basicly this is a mouse mod

when ever the thumb drive is plugged in the mouse shuts off, when i unplug the thumb drive the mouse comes back on...is there any way arround this so they will both be on at the same time?

the only thing i could think of is the draw was to great but i switched grounds and still the same thing

Last edited:
woah i just noticed theres a modding section here...or i forgot about it or what ever but can i get a move over there please?

thanks

So you basically wired a USB port into your mouse, using the same wires to run both?

I'm quite sure that you need some kind of hub chip to differentiate between the 2 data signals now trying to get to the 1 usb port the mouse is plugged to.

My advice: cram one of those mini USB hubs in there too!

^^^ Agree, all you gota do is find room to squeeze a tiny USB hub into the thing and you're good.

AND for the love of god post some pics... this seems like a neat idea, some of us - me - might wana say wow, nice work looks great make me one ;-)

I once tried this by hacking a 2.5GB microdrive into a mouse with a mini USB. I never got far in this though because the microdrive required too much power by itself and running 2 cables to the mouse (USB hub power and USB cable) seems a bit messy.

Cap'n Pedro said:
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/185/42/

Same principle, but wire the storage device in instead of the USB-A-female port.

ahh i see, but having a hub in there would ruin my future plan on having a card reader in it too...i kinda want it all internal, i know i could get a hub and the usb drive in my mouse...i dont know about a compact flash reader though

Back