• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new proposition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

Ok...well I decided instead of getting a high end CPU, I would get a mid end CPU. With the money I saved between these two, I will invest in a water cooling solution JUST for my CPU. My limit to spend on a CPU is 500 dollars. So basically what I'm asking is: Which CPU is the best bang for the buck under 500 dollars if I will be overclocking with my water cooling?

id go with the opteron, MUCH better aparently at overclocking and you get more cache too!

mmm... im confussed i just checked the site i goto for sompter syuff as im in the uk and they dont have the 195 lol besides that there opts are cheaper whys that? i mean i could of got a AMD Opteron UP 146 San Diego 2.0GHz 1MB Cache for the same price as my venice!?!?!

tho if it's better than my venice i dont know here is the link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_Athlon_MP.html

and i think they ship worldwide tho i never ordered on line!

with any luck at all that opty will overclock further than the 4400 and outperform the 4400 by a small amount clock for clock. IMO with those dual core opty's available, a 4400 would be a waste of $. Now you have extra cash to spend on your watercooling setup :)

J.

Herr Rogers said:
I do have 500 dollars to spend, so I would prefer something like the 4400+ X2. How good at overclocking is the 4400?

your just going to pay more because of the duel core i dont think there as good for overclocking my mate changed his x2 for a fx57

If those are s939, that's awesome. The 144/146/148 are allmost impossible to find in the states right now, and when you do find them, you usually pay a hefty premium. A s939 opteron will allmost certianly outclock your average venice. There was one particular stepping that was not so spectacular, that was the GABGE. If you can locate a s939 dual core then I would definately go that route. If not, then x2 or single core opty. If you were planning on a dual core, I don't think you will be satisfied with a similar chip to what you have now, running a few hundred mhz faster.

J.

Herr Rogers said:
I do have 500 dollars to spend

It's not about "the more you spend..." when it comes to overclocking.

Socket 939 Opterons should overclock more than Socket 939 X2s on average.

c627627 said:
It's not about "the more you spend..." when it comes to overclocking.

Socket 939 Opterons should overclock more than Socket 939 X2s on average.
You hit the nail right on the head!
If you want to spend more, you might want to consider an Opteron 170 or 175 for their higher multipliers, but other than that the 165 Opteron is a sweet sweet deal.

juliendogg>> s939 Opterons and X2 4400+ and 4800+ are Toledos. They are the same, only the opterons have higher quality silicon, as the testing they go through are more rigorous. So clock for clock they will perform identically

Xoligy>> Dual cores might not overclock as high as an FX would, or even a single core Opteron. But they will be a lot faster than a single core in every day use, like burning a DVD and doing something else that's CPU intensive, and general windows use will be a lot snappier. Also with dual core you future proof your machine. When more multi threaded games and programs are released then people who got Dual Cores will sure notice the benefits.

Back