• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help, 3ghz project!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Derrig

Hey all, I'm new here but not new to OC'ing. I got my Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.74GHZ so far. Aint a bad overclock at all. However, I'm looking to get it going to 3ghz, it's been a project of mine. I use a Gigabyte K8N-ultra, it's NForce 4, I use cheap memory but I keep it running below 200mhz. I run the processor with a stock cooler at 37C idle, 1.75v, the HT voltage is raised 0.3v, and the bus was at like 304mhz.
It's a venice core BTW.

Thanks,
Dan

not bad dan, not bad at all. i think you can actually hit 3.0ghz or at least do 2.9 with that chip of urs.

the thing i would first and foremost recommend is: GET REAL COOLING!!! :attn:

hitting 3.0ghz on air is hard enough for any amd processor to do. doing it with stock cooling is like cruel and unusual punishment. Spend 50 bucks or so and get a thermalright SP-something. I forget the name, but its great and will cool down ur cpu temp a lot, esp at load temps (i bet ur load temp is like 49C+).

just by switching the heatsink, I think you'll get a lot closer to your goal.

Good luck! and btw, WELCOME!! :welcome:

1.75v on that processor is a lot, a little too much for my taste, i would only use ~1.7v and that would be on water cooling. Get an Thermalright SI-120 and that should drop your temps quite a bit. Im not sure if you can get the Venice up to 3.0Ghz though. Kind of hard.

:welcome: to the Forum, Dan Derrig.
I am sorry to say from the looks of that voltage that you will be getting a new CPU before you will get to 3GHz. Your boards temp reading is obviously inaccurate. I am surprised that it doesn't overheat and shut down at load. There is really no point to burning up a chip. Isn't this kind of cruelty covered by the Geneva Convention?:)

1.75volts is wayyyy too high there bud, especially on stock cooling. I'm using a Thermalright XP-90C (31*C idle), and I won't even go above 1.6volts.

I seriously don't think you're going to be able to reach 3GHz, not without having a high voltage like that; and doing so will significantly decrease CPU lifespan without having a much much better cooling solution. Like chilled water cooling or phase change.

As for increasing maximum clockspeed, see here.

1)better cooling(go for some water cooling) load temp will be near 35c
so doing math u will get 15c down ~100/150 mhz of oc
2)then remouve the ihs i have read that most are getting 50 to 70mhz but other 100-150mhz

remenber that nothings is garented in overclocking

Thanks everyone! I will be getting a new cooler soon, along with an Opteron 148 maybe. I found out that I could increase HT voltage and lower the CPU voltage a bit, so like 1.5v.
I know 1.75 is kinda high, especially for stock cooling. I've been planning on a better cooler for a long time, but my parents have been yelling at me to save my money. Oh well, I'll get it soon. That is, if I don't get the Opteron 148 (I may not want to spend hundreds of dollars, I'm barely 15)
I might order later on newegg.
One question, does anybody know the record for overclocking a Venice 3000+? I want to know what the best that chip can do is.
Thanks again,
Dan

Your parents are right. Going from a Venice to an Opteron is squandering your money. There is little to be gained that is worth the expense. Some day you will learn that the more you spend the more you will work. Needless spending equals needless work. I'm old and cheap because I really don't like to work so much.:)

lol, they mean on the cooler - they don't know between williamette and venice. I'll get a cooler, lol
Would it be better to get a 3500+ Venice? Has anyone overclocked that to 3ghz?
Otherwise, screw that, I'll get a GeForce 6800 and a cooler

Keep that voltage at 1.75 V and you will be buying a new processor sooner than you would expect anyway. I am somewhat joking; I have gone up to 1.7 V on good air with no problems. However I don't know what effect continuous use would have. In my case I found that I can get just about 2850 MHz with a little less than 1.5 V where as with 1.7 V I could not even get 2930 MHz stable for 32M. So it seems that if it requires 1.75 V to get 2.76 gHz stable you are not going to be seeing 3.0 gHz, as Rseven said, with that CPU.

Alright then, I'll be stuck at about this speed. A new cooler should help, right?
Otherwise, would getting the cheapest San Diego core be able to go any faster?
By the way, I don't run my comp for very long at that speed, it makes me very nervous.
I checked in BIOS too, and my idle temp is 44C, so I am definitely waiting for a new cooler before I OC like that

im at 2.85ghz stable, but i also water cool... and thats at 1.55volts. But with work overwhelming me, i havent had time to persue my goal of 3ghz.

I tried putting icepacks on my computer, silly I know, but I got it to 2.75 where I could actually go around windows - 2.76 crashed it when I tried to click a folder to run CPU-Z
The icepacks lowered it 4C
Also, what exactly is a phase change cooler? If I built one, would it work better? What means of cooling could I build?

EDIT: found the cooling thread :p

Back