• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Superpi or Prime95??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

I've seen both Superpi and Prime95 used to test system stability. I've got a A64 3000+ that's seems to be doing very well. It's is 24hr Prime95 stable at 2504 (313x8). However it will run Superpi 34M successfully at 2600 or 2700, but Prime95 fails after about 15 minutes.

I'm gonna use this system to encode videos so every Mhz counts. Which is stable?

Passing prime is great and all, but I've had a couple computers that would pass everything with flying colors but prime (that includes gaming for hours). To me, things like superPI and Prime95 are good estimates of stability, but doing stuff that I do everyday and seeing how it runs is my stability tester.

i say that prime is the best for stability personally specially for encoding and stuff you dont want the computer to freeze halfway through an encode or a copy lol

Prime wil stress a CPU more than PI will. If you run PI with taskmanager open to the performance tab you will note that Pi stops its calculating ( and stress) while it takes time to page the hard drive. I would however state that SuperPi 32M is a good indicator of memory stability, which means your CPU should be the weak link in your case here.

I had Prime failing today after a minute or so. Getting the latest version fixed the problem. Also ran accoss "CPU Stability Test" version 6.0. Running it and Prime at the same time gets the highest temp delta that I have ever had.

Of the two, Prime95 is the one that's been proven, at least for me. If my book, if Prime95 always fails, even at stock, you probably have a faulty processor. Thus, probably time to RMA it. But, the motherboard or PSU may also be the cause of that, too.

In my book, if Prime95 fails, it's not stable.

I thought SuperPi tests only CPU, and you can configure Prime95 to do either CPU or CPU+Mem.

Prime95 is the stability standard everywhere, and what I use to test for stability. I'd make sure your computer is 24-hour prime stable before doing any encoding.

IWasHungry said:
SuperPI tests RAM, Prime tests CPU.
Prime test both, system won't run prime unless both ram and cpu are good. I am running system for hours not for like five minutes

Super pi is nice test, though this test is not so good for any stabilty test. It more for if I change one memory setting what kind of affect will it result. I had defective ram running and passing super pi while later to determined by memtest to be defective, also should mention in that situation my setup failed prime.

Back