• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need EST for 12v load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

I need to find a balpark figure for how much i'll need on the 12v rail for a rig listed below - most of it is leftover parts, so there isnt much that will be changing.

AMD Athlon XP - barton core i think
2x512mb & 1x1gb PC 3200
MSI NF2 ultra 400 board
80gb System Drive (7200rpm IDE, silly mobo wont boot from the sata :bang head )
5600 Ultra (128mb)
1x DVD ROM
the raid control card w/ XOR processor
up to 8x300gb 7200rpm HDD's
and the fans needed to keep it cool, but im not gona OC a file server so its mainly just 2x 120's for the case i think.

Basicaly the only concern i have is that my 500w aspire PSU wont have enough of a 12v rail for all the HDD's - as i want the rig to be capable of running 9 HDD's without needing to upgrade the PSU.

Not sure if that board is 12v regulated or not (it is if it has the 12v connector), so I'll recommend something for each case. With that many drives, I'd stick to a single big 12v rail.

5v oriented - a Fortron FSP530-60GNA will do it - 5v @ 40A, 12v @ 18A.
12v oriented - 24-26A from a good unit should do... the Aspire not being a good unit. I suggest an OCZ Powerstream 520w, Zippy HP2-6500P or Sparkle FSP550-60PLG.

The Aspire might work, but would be really loaded up - they tend to perform poorly that way. I wouldn't chance it myself.

For 8x 300GB hard drives I don't think even the Powerstream has enough power. I could be wrong though, but a PCP&C would definitely handle it.

I could drop in a second PSU i suppose, just gota figure out a place to put it.

Should run things at first (only 5 drives) but latter on, i would plan on having 9 total, its a bit much... how much can i buy the cable to turn on 2x PSU's at the same time for?

I'd rather stack multiple PSU's i already have lying around than go out and buy more stuff, lol... kind of recycling to build a server but w/e

LOL, link me the PSU splitter cable please, i think i saw it in one of Electron Chaser's threads about his continuing delta 'problem'

Back