• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHDSK on startup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think theres an option in startup and recovery, its somewhere in the control panel, I think its under System properties. Windows only does it if there was a "serious Error" report or something. Or you have it set to.

ghettocomp said:
That happens only when I just turn off the computer instead of using the Start > Shut Down like I should. It is also Can be a kind of warning that something might be wrong with the OS or Hard Drive.

Never shout-down windows using your "power-off Button" instead of by the Start>Shout-Down Menu, unless you could not do so IF the PC freezed on you. Doing the above may corrupt some important system files in Windows and you may not be bootup again.
If you Windows prepares to run "Chkdsk" prior to booting into Windows, let it runs until completion by itself. Provided it finds NO ERRORS then it will NOT be run the next time! However if it finds error/s then it will try to correct it, and if it is not able to then it will run the same "Chkdsk" the next boot also. Under this circumstances you have better download your HD's checking utility from its manufacturer Web Site, if available, and check your affected HD/s carefully. :rolleyes:

Never shout-down windows using your "power-off Button"

some pcs can shut down just like start/shutdown... when that button is pressed however holding the power button down for 8-10 secs makes the pc turn off as if it were switch off at the wall.

Centercore said:
some pcs can shut down just like start/shutdown... when that button is pressed however holding the power button down for 8-10 secs makes the pc turn off as if it were switch off at the wall.

That depends on your setups available in the BIOS! Some BIOSs, such as mine, can be configured to Instant Powerup/Power-off or Hiberation On/Off plus Powerup/Power-off in Windows. If these options are available in BIOS, such as Hiberation&Power-on/off, then the initial "Press" of the Power-Button is Windows "Hiberation Request" but IF you keep pressing the Power-Button, that would be interpred as a "Power-off" request. Personally I don't like it as corruptions in files, such as unintended vibrations in the PC case, would result in the "hiberated" PC may not bootup again, plus you need to ensure you have sufficient HD space to begin with. I would always choose "Instant Power-off" myself. :rolleyes:

im just saying I actually have a power button on my keyboard so I use that never really turned my pc off before now that I have two 80mm I do sounds like a fridge

was wondering the same thing .. if you let it complete.. and if you are properly shutting down ..

you may want to run the test and when you reboot go in and select to run chkdisk again both boxes.. should prompt you to restart and let it do it again.. after that im guessing you should be fine... try running defrag too

ok i had that problem... if you have it with a new drive then repartition and reformat it.

my 200GB seagate allways did chdsk after copying something onto it...untill i whiped it clean and repartition/reformated it.

First, run a HDD diagnostic from your hard drive manufacturer, they will have a freely downloadable tool to check the health of your hard drive. If that comes back clean, procede to attempting to repair windows.

First, I'd try this. Find the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Open the Bootexecute value and remove the entries. Restart and see if chkdsk still tries to run.

If it still does, you might want to look into trying this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/EN-US/

By the way, you can also check the "volume dirty bit" which is changed if for some reason your system thinks the volume is corrupt. Open a command prompt and type fsutil for some details on the tool. Type "fsutil dirty query c:" but replace c with the letter of the drive that is being scanned by chkdsk. Just for reference, if you want to set a disk to be scanned by chkdsk on next boot, type "fsutil dirty set C:" which will mark the drive for scanning on next boot.

Centercore said:
OCdragon said:
That depends on your setups available in the BIOS! Some BIOSs, such as mine, can be configured to Instant Powerup/Power-off or Hiberation On/Off plus Powerup/Power-off in Windows. If these options are available in BIOS, such as Hiberation&Power-on/off, then the initial "Press" of the Power-Button is Windows "Hiberation Request" but IF you keep pressing the Power-Button, that would be interpred as a "Power-off" request. Personally I don't like it as corruptions in files, such as unintended vibrations in the PC case, would result in the "hiberated" PC may not bootup again, plus you need to ensure you have sufficient HD space to begin with. I would always choose "Instant Power-off" myself. :rolleyes:

Control Panel>Power options>Advanced Tab>Power buttons

You can change the behavior from within windows.

Last edited:
Back