• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8Megs Off Router, 2Megs On Router? Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

I plug my pc directly into my modem i get an average of 8.5-9.5megs, i plug in my Netgear WGR614 router, and it drops to below 3megs on average 2.1-3megs.. and thats even with only 1 of the 2 pc's turned on and using the internet :(

any suggestions? i was thinkin of another router instead of this one, since i cant find the parts i need for a smoothwall.

I have this same problem with my smc router :( upgrading/downgrading the firmware didnt work, tampering with settings didnt work. I'm going to be the ultimate fix soon, the GARBAGE!.

thats all I can say :shrug:

OMG, I thought I was going crazy! I have the same router, and straight to my modem is 6mb down, with the router I'm barely pulling 3mb. Sort of the same situation, no wireless, 2 pc's wired, no torrents/etc on either.

I would love the fix this problem without buying a new router!!

If I were you I would give netgear a call and see what this router is doing and see if they had a fix for it.

Well, I was hoping to find a 'good' fix here. If I call Netgear they are likely to make me run-around all the possible solutions I've already tried for an hour before getting to the real problem.

I'll run through all the setting with a fine-tooth comb later and try to fish out something. Anyone else with this problem and possible solutions would be welcomed.

Bios24 said:
Well, I was hoping to find a 'good' fix here. If I call Netgear they are likely to make me run-around all the possible solutions I've already tried for an hour before getting to the real problem.

I'll run through all the setting with a fine-tooth comb later and try to fish out something. Anyone else with this problem and possible solutions would be welcomed.

well ive had problems with netgear in the past, they are the worst tech support ever, and thats including my dealings with comcast.

You have Comcast too? Hmmmm, maybe that has something to do with the problem? What kind of modem do you have? I've got a Motorola Surfboard 5120. It's only 6 months old.

Yeah I used to have comcast. The customer service was lacking to say the least. Maybe you can see if the netgear website has a knowlege database or something that could assist you more. I dont know just throwing out suggestions.

CarRamrod said:
Thats still like 2 megs short though. I dont see that kind of speed drop through my router.

Its not the router, its probably just his service level in the area. Rarely do people get the rated service levels exactly.

Bios24 said:
OMG, I thought I was going crazy! I have the same router, and straight to my modem is 6mb down, with the router I'm barely pulling 3mb. Sort of the same situation, no wireless, 2 pc's wired, no torrents/etc on either.

I would love the fix this problem without buying a new router!!

Look through netgears support section of their website, at first glance it looks fairly developed. If that fails, call the manufacturer for support and explain your problem. If multiple people are seeing the exact same issue its probably a known problem at the helpdesk and they'll be able to stop your wondering at least, and maybe even fix it. ;)

So it seems you've gone thru everything on your router. What about your network interface? Are you using onboard or a NIC card? I imagine you have the latest drivers for them. Have you gone into the registry and made the 2 changes that work? What latency is it set at?

I.M.O.G. said:
Its not the router, its probably just his service level in the area. Rarely do people get the rated service levels exactly.

If its not the router why is he only seeing the speed drop when he is plugged into the router? When he isnt going through the router no speed drop.

Back