• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game lag and old router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

i get a lot of lag and diconnects with my current linksys v2 router. its only my pc and my roommates slow as dell on the network. if he runs bitorrent while im trying to game it drops packets like no tom. i notice the lag more in dod:source because the choke gets high and in bf2 when i get disconnected. there a way to fix this without buying a 100 dollar gaming router?

LINKSYS WRT54G or D-Link DGL-4300? with the hacked firmwares can't the linksys do everthing the dgl-4300 can and more? however, the newer linksys wrt54G's aren't linux based so its up in the air if i get the right version. version 4 is the one im looking for right?

Last edited:
No matter what you get,,,if the roomate is doing torrents while you are trying to game, it's gonna be bad for you. A Smoothwall with a QOS mod will help somewhat. Work it out - a schedule

I would have your buddy only download torrents when you are at work or sleeping. When I am downloading something on a torrent client, my whole network slows to a crawl. You can also have him limit is upload and download speeds in his client settings. That would be the buddy like thing to do.

he's already limited to 10kbps upload and i still get studdering and disconnects all the time. i suppose ill drop by best buy and see if i can find the right version. ive read that gaming router can handle up to 1500 bt connections and it's a gigbit router. starting to seem a little more tempting that the linksys.

Last edited:
Back