• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a professional to fix my lag spikes :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm... ok, maybe it doesn't have one? (rare!)

At Quad - With the settings you are using in game, how much vRAM does it say it is using?

maxresdefault.jpg

When i said maxed out, i didnt mean all that MSAA and vsync stuff. Everything maxed out, except MSAA ant txaa I think, I cant remember right now. With nvidia PCSS and tasselation and something more, I cant tell you right now, I get around 60 to 70 fps. These drops dont depend from the graphics. Even on lowest set i see them. Anyway, my CPU is dead i think, even with the OC... I will upgrade to 4770k i think

"maxed out" means "maxed out" haha. Try to be more clear next time please.

And yes, that CPU is getting old dude, certainly wouldn't hurt to get a new rig.

Got it ;) But, in your opinion, would a 960 4 GB + i7 4770k kick *** a couple of years? :D

Got it ;) But, in your opinion, would a 960 4 GB + i7 4770k kick *** a couple of years? :D

Im not a huge fan of the 960's. BUT since you have the 4gb card, SLI'ing it would probably do well. No reason to get a 4770k when the 4790k exists (they are the same cost, unless you find a great deal on a 4770k, don't bother)

960 is a solid midrange card right now for 1080p... but not sure what it will be like in a couple of years when new titles come out.

You know EXACTLY what I mean ;) *cough 290 cough* Has nothing much to do with the card itself, seems to perform fine in 1080p.

Well... in my country (for example) 960 costs around 300 euro, while in other countries 200$. So, whats the matter of talking about CPU prices. :D i7 4770k around 450 dollar... I think 4770k would be great, not talking about overclock... :p

Random lag spikes. Please help!

i7 920 4 core 8 threads 2.66GHz overclocked to 4.2 GHz, very stable.
8 gigs of ram 2GBx4
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
750W PSU
Gigabyte GTX 960 4 GB SOC
2 TB
Win 7 64bit
All drivers up to date, bios fresh installed, HDD defragmented, no virus, windows fresh installed, no heat problems.

So, what could cause those lag spikes? Definitely its not the graphics card issue, because i had this problem with my old 560 Ti, which i changed to 960 three days ago. Btw, without overclock it shows the same. These lag spikes, or fps drops(whatever, seems the same), are strange, because i it shows 80 fps and lags. No matter what graphics, or what fps. It drops. Something is messing, and i really need your help pals... Its really strange to get around 60-120 fps in most of games and had random lag spikes/fps drops. BTW, it happens around 15 secs, or more. Its not like - 1 spike per 15 sec. It depends from something other. Anyway, it lags. For example, sometimes when i move the mouse fast, like turning around in any game, it "spikes", if I can say it like that. You understand. So... any ideas? Or maybe the CPU is messing around? I need a very good explanation.

Does it happen with everything? Does it happen when running a benchmark like Unigene Heaven/Valley or 3DMark Firestrike?

Edit: you have a thread regarding this identical issue that you created yesterday.

Please don't make duplicate threads for the same purpose and the discussion in that thread for the issue(s) you are seeing. It makes helping you significantly easier.

Any time there is lag or slowdown in a computer is is due to a bottleneck or the computer is overheating, which causes the CPU or GPU to throttle (which is another form of bottlenecking). First make sure your CPU/GPU coolers are free of dust buildup and are not getting too hot (contactless thermometers are cheap)

Then try opening resource monitor, then play the game till you get a lag spike, then quickly alt-tab out of the game and see which resource is maxing out. It will probably be the hard drive, you have the older, mechanical drives which cannot transfer data as quickly as what GTA needs it to be transferred to keep from lagging. If this is the case, consider a samsung evo SSD. They are among the fastest available, and are at a reasonable price. You can expect an evo drive to run about 5-9 times faster than your mechanical drives.

Another possibility is that the game is running the computer low on memory, forcing it to use virtual memory (hard drive). I dont know that GTA5 will make use of more than 8GB memory, but it's worth looking up

Last edited:
Any tips?

Hello again. :)

My system:
i7 4790k
GTX 960 4 GB
Z97X-UD5H
8 GB of ram (4x2GB) 1333MHz
Win 7 64bit ultimate
2TB HDD 7200rpm i think
750W PSU

I have already posted this, but the thread is too old. This is my last thread and I hope i will find the solution. :) Now I have upgraded my old i7 920 to i7 4790k, obviously my old EX58-UD3R to Z97X-UD5H and like I said before - 560 ti to 960. The lag spikes seems to be like before. Actually, it is very strange. The lag spikes/fps drops are too small, like in bf3 - from 130 to 120 and again to 130. Or even 5 fps down and up. It is annoying... In any setting i see that little stutter or whatever it is called. So, I upgraded the most important parts of my build and the problem seems to be unsolved. Clearly, the CPU and GPU is not the problem! Maybe this is cause of my HDD? Or slow ram? Because it is 1333 and even 4 x 2GB... btw the temperatures are great, the GPU rarely reaches 60C and the pc stays almost all the time at 50C or below. Im sure the CPU is ok and the GPU is pretty good, because I get 60+ fps even on BF4 Ultra settings 1080p. Dont worry, all drivers are up to date. Windows fresh installed. I have no idea whats wrong... also, my mouse acts strangely. When I play games which requires mouse it lags. Like, for example :the fps stays at 60fps, but I clearly see the mouse lags so damn bad.
Actually, these are my PC problems. The mouse, and lag. Yes, yes... i tried other mouses, even wireless and nothing... NOTHING. Its like, moving the mouse in a straight line and it jums further 2-3 cm(if I can describe it like this).
So, guys, maybe it is the HDD? Ram? Any ideas? The mouse is Logitech M705 btw... Help me please! :/

Last edited:
FPS are not a static value. Dips are expected in every single title at every single setting at any resolutuon. What you are seeing is normal. .

I doubt it is a ram issue, but 1333 mhz is slow. I would have went with 1866 mhz set...

I also merged thks with your existing lag spike thread. It's a couple weeks old, but it's still the same provlem... if it's eve. A problrm.

Agreed with ED, you won't get 100% of your max FPS at any given time. Look through many reviews of any card and they generally specify (at least now) the average and minimum FPS that anything had, and they are never the same.

Back