• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD477 aftermarket cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

Anyone know if you can get an aftermarket cable for the Sennhieser 477s? my cable is going bad right near where the blug thing meets the cable (don't know the technical term) I know i can buy cables directly from sennhieser but does anyone else amke them?

Aftermarket cables for sound quality are snake oil. Anyone who sells them is either a fraud or a fool - they do nothing. You can order them from sennheiserusa.com. If there isn't one available for the 477, look at the cable for the 497, the jacks should be identical. The only difference between many in the 4xx line is the drivers, or maybe the earcups if some of them are closed. I think a 497 cable is like, $7 before shipping.

actually the stock cables are most likely aluminium or steel so an aftermarket cable made of copper would have substantially better conductance and therefore be a better sounding cable. The high end of cables is nonsense but there are subtle differences between a $5 steel cable and a $15 copper cable

Contact [AK]Zip, he made me a nice mini to rca cable, he does good work and I imagine if you sent him the phones he could recable them with silver or silver coated copper wire for a decent price. He is a big time doit yourselfer over at Head-fi and a member of this forum. You will notice a sound difference, how much I dunno. It is not snake oil but people tend to over exagerate the results.

madcow235 said:
actually the stock cables are most likely aluminium or steel so an aftermarket cable made of copper would have substantially better conductance and therefore be a better sounding cable. The high end of cables is nonsense but there are subtle differences between a $5 steel cable and a $15 copper cable

I have $40 shielded, 24k Gold plated Monster cable cables(RCA) and some ridiculously expensive Monster Cable speaker wire. I also have standard issue, super-cheap stuff.

I use the Monster Cable, because I have it(I didn't buy it) but believe me, you aren't missing anything. Waste of money? Yes. Would I buy it again? No.

Worth it to some? Maybe if you need to be told by other people you have a nice setup.

The only way I'd consider expensive cables again is if I was building a very high end home theatre, in which case the cost of cables would be NOTHING.

Absolutely useless on a computer stereo.

tom10167 said:
I have $40 shielded, 24k Gold plated Monster cable cables(RCA) and some ridiculously expensive Monster Cable speaker wire. I also have standard issue, super-cheap stuff.

I use the Monster Cable, because I have it(I didn't buy it) but believe me, you aren't missing anything. Waste of money? Yes. Would I buy it again? No.

Worth it to some? Maybe if you need to be told by other people you have a nice setup.

The only way I'd consider expensive cables again is if I was building a very high end home theatre, in which case the cost of cables would be NOTHING.

Absolutely useless on a computer stereo.

All depends on your output device. High end headphones and speakers would easily take advantage of it, even computer sound.

Not really.

I'm using a Harmon Kardon HK3480, one of(if not the) the best 2 channel receivers being made. Hooked up to two giant JBL speakers with 12" woofers(none of this preamp PC speaker nonsense), all this via an Audigy 2.

The cables don't make a difference, I don't care whose ears they are.

tom10167 said:
Not really.

I'm using a Harmon Kardon HK3480, one of(if not the) the best 2 channel receivers being made. Hooked up to two giant JBL speakers with 12" woofers(none of this preamp PC speaker nonsense), all this via an Audigy 2.

Haha, that is why you wont notice anything better, its just an audigy, if you want the real stuff, look at the Chaintech AV710, or the M-Audio Audiophile for real sound cards ;).

tom10167 said:
Not really.

The audigy two is not what I would consider a good source, also considering my headphone amplifier cost more that that reciever and it is only considered to to be lower highend, I highly doubt a $300 dollar reciever is "one of the best (if not the best)". High end audio cables will make a difference in a highend system.

Last edited:
that reciever is ~250 dollars from amazon i doubt its one of(if not the) best 2 channel recievers being made. and jbl isnt known for their good speakers. they are known for cheap speakers.

madcow235 said:
A *few* headphones have been known to use aluminum or steel, almost all are oxygen-free copper.

And guys, it doesn't matter what it source, receiver or speakers are - the point is that the differences that cables produce are negligible, if they exist. 300 foot microphone runs? Sure. 5000 watt PA systems? Sure. Home theater setups? No. Speakers? No. Resistance, inductance and capacitance are what affect sound (in the cable that is), and none of them are high enough in almost all situations to have any audible effect. They become more important with higher frequency signals, into the MHz and especially GHz range. But audio is just KHz, where it's hardly important at all, save when you have very long runs or are dealing with a LOT of power (e.g. PA, concerts).

Similarly, shielded speaker and headphone cables are also pointless. Any noise that is picked up won't be amplified, thus it won't be audible. Interconnects, yes, because those typically lead into amplifiers which WILL make the noise audible. Also, balanced connections for home setups are a complete waste. Just putting it out there. Absolutely no reason why you need that low a noise floor for home listening with such short distances.

Yeah, I've been trying to, I usually just get flamed and shot down. :rolleyes: That's why I like Ars Technica...put a Head-Fier in there and in six minutes he'll get shot down SO fast.

I tend to agree with Emon's opinion on this topic. However, I dont have a problem with people who make their own cables (instead of buying overpriced pre-mades). Ive made a few cheap custom cables, and the experience was definetly fun, and pretty cheap (2ft Canare, Switchcraft 3.5's, and Techflex cost me about $5 for a Mini-Mini).

Back