• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning stages of my new system: PUMP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

I'd like some recommendations on a pump for my planned system.

I'll be running a system all built in a midi tower case, one CPU block, possibly with later addition of a GPU block, two radiators in series, and a reasonable size reservoir. And all 1/2" tubing.

The main goal for the system, is silence above anything else. cooling performance obviously second place, and third, it needs to be small enough to fit in a standard ATX midi tower.

So, the question is, what pump would you, based on experience, recommend? Along these guidelines:
* Keep above a minimum 1 gpm flow with the mentioned components
* -VERY- silent operating
* 230 or 12 volt doesn't matter, I can wire it as required

Thanks
//BM

Several things:
1. Why are you making a Flow requirement?
2. If you want to fit it in a midi tower, why are you using a resivor?
3. Probally a flow moded MCP350 or MPC655 would be the best. I can't rember the websites for a flow/pressure chart.

sunrunner20 said:
1. Why are you making a Flow requirement?
Because I'd like to have good enough flow that if I chose to add a second loop with dual GPU cooling, I want to have enough flow and head so it wont kill my CPU temp. I'd rather have too powerful a pump on a single loop, than having to buy another pump if I add more stuff to the system.
sunrunner20 said:
2. If you want to fit it in a midi tower, why are you using a resivor?
Because... Uhm. Long story, it'll all become clear later =P
sunrunner20 said:
3. Probally a flow moded MCP350
Yeah I was looking at that too, looks good, and small too.
[edit]
BASTERDZ! Nothing is ever easy. The damn Swiftech MCP350 has a 3/8" outlet barb. I want 1/2" throughout. So, the jury is still out. Any 230 volt pumps with similar performance to noise ratio to the MCP350?
[/edit]

Thanks.

Last edited:
Get the MCP-350 use 7/16th tubing and make teflon bushings for the 3/8 outlets on the pump. Thats what I did and it works great and its QUIET! Im cooling my CPU and GPU no prob with lots of flow. This little pump churns up the water real good in my res and I have excellent temps. I really dont think you even need to mod the pump.

sunrunner20 said:
If your going to flow mod it you change the outlet anyway.
The only mod I've seen changes the INlet of the pump, not the outlet. So you'd have ½" inlet and 3/8" outlet, major bummer right there.

Has anyone got one of these taken apart? Is there enough room in the outlet to drill it up a bit and taper it to fit a ½" outlet barb?

thorilan said:
you could always get a T1 Velocity pump =)
Daym that's a big moma right there! But is it silent? I think a flow modded 350 looks promising IF there's enough goods in the top to mod it to a ½" outlet.

Back