• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My x800GTO2 Nightmare continues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Procharger

Well if you've read my other posts it all started when I downloaded the modified files form this site http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=5215 . I didn't quite understand flashing at first but I finally figured out I changed the .bin file name to X800GTO2.bin (whatever you want if it's short enough right?). After that you boot from a floppy then type in the flashrom.exe -p 0 X800GTO2.bin -f and it should be flashed right?

After I did this my card would not allow my card to even boot to floppy. So I had a lame brained idea of hooking up my AGP card so I could see what it was doing when trying to boot and then I fried my PSU :eek: . Ok so I decided to take out the PCI-E card and replace my PSU with my other lower wattage one and the computer boots and runs fine off of my AGP card.

Well to make a long story not as long I now have a 16bit PCI card that allows me to boot to a floppy and into windows long enough to show me that it sees an x850 then reboots (note: will only show video and boot with the 16 bit PCI card in and the monitor connected to it. The X800GTO2 card shows nothing.). I've also tried to reflash to my backup bios but it will not flash back to X800 status.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

for one thing you might not be able to flash with that filename. X800GTO2.bin is too long to be recognized in DOS. Shorten the name to something like GTO2.bin and you might have more success.

Flip-Mode said:
What is the error msg you get when trying to flash back to the old VGA BIOS?

I don't get an error is the funny thing and it appears to be successful except the card won't boot the system alone nor will it boot to floppy alone. I did do a status to see if it's locked and it says it's locked.

Wasn't there some kind of problem some people had flashing on the ASrock motherboard? You might need to do the flash on an nforce to really make it work right.

The Coolest said:
Wasn't there some kind of problem some people had flashing on the ASrock motherboard? You might need to do the flash on an nforce to really make it work right.
Well I fixed my problem by going back to a stock flash with 12 pipes as my backup must have been no good for some reason. I don't have the link handily available but it consisted of an ATI link with my Sapphire cards bios: I enter atiflash -p 0 newbios.bin -f and it worked to my surprise. Now just to figure out if I can flash it to X850XT standards using that same command and an X850XT bios from that site!

HousERaT, DOS uses a 8.3 naming convention, so his name is fine. any names longer than 8 characters will be truncated indicated by the ~ in the name.

HousERaT said:
for one thing you might not be able to flash with that filename. X800GTO2.bin is too long to be recognized in DOS. Shorten the name to something like GTO2.bin and you might have more success.

This sounds rather frightening, get a good name brand 400 + watt PSU if you don't already have one. boot with the PCI card into the bios, set the bios to boot to the PCI card first! Save, shut down, install your pcie card and see if that works and will allow you to flash back the bios.

Good luck!!! (i think you need it right now)

Procharger said:
Well if you've read my other posts it all started when I downloaded the modified files form this site http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=5215 . I didn't quite understand flashing at first but I finally figured out I changed the .bin file name to X800GTO2.bin (whatever you want if it's short enough right?). After that you boot from a floppy then type in the flashrom.exe -p 0 X800GTO2.bin -f and it should be flashed right?

After I did this my card would not allow my card to even boot to floppy. So I had a lame brained idea of hooking up my AGP card so I could see what it was doing when trying to boot and then I fried my PSU :eek: . Ok so I decided to take out the PCI-E card and replace my PSU with my other lower wattage one and the computer boots and runs fine off of my AGP card.

Well to make a long story not as long I now have a 16bit PCI card that allows me to boot to a floppy and into windows long enough to show me that it sees an x850 then reboots (note: will only show video and boot with the 16 bit PCI card in and the monitor connected to it. The X800GTO2 card shows nothing.). I've also tried to reflash to my backup bios but it will not flash back to X800 status.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Procharger said:
Well I fixed my problem by going back to a stock flash with 12 pipes as my backup must have been no good for some reason. I don't have the link handily available but it consisted of an ATI link with my Sapphire cards bios: I enter atiflash -p 0 newbios.bin -f and it worked to my surprise. Now just to figure out if I can flash it to X850XT standards using that same command and an X850XT bios from that site!
Glad to hear you were able to fix it, at least stock card is better than no card at all :)

Now I'm wondering if I can't just flash an X850XT bios to my card using the atiflash command? I guess I'll never learn but since I'm a truly stubborn person and can't accept failure when I see possibility.

I used the X800 GTO2 Sapphire Bios from this link to successfully flash my bios. Now I'm tempted to know or see if a X850 bios will flash it to 16 pipes. Does anyone know if this will work?

Back