• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lite-On DVD Burner difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Ok..
Lite-On SHW-1635S
Lite-On SOHW-1693S

Anyone know the difference between these two drives? I'm gonna buy one of them today. The first is like 4 bucks cheaper (due to free shipping) and comes with a free 25 pack of 8x dvd-rs. The other does not.

Whats the difference here? The specs seem nearly identical. I don't really even need a "great" DVD burner.. I don't even need ANY dvd burner.. but I sold my second drive with the rest of a mostly complete setup, so I want to refill that spot that was a plain CD drive with a better..

So I will have a DVD burner and a CD-R burner / DVD Reader below it. And I rarely even burn CD's. Its basically a cosmetic / looky what I have part.

So IS there a reason to buy the slightly more expensive drive w/out free DVD's?

The SHW-1635S is the better drive...

Differences=

SHW-1635s:
DVD+R9 8x maximum by Z-CLV
Dual-Layer burner
Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or higherr CPU and 128 MB or higher RAM are required
HDD must have access time < 20 ms; with a minimum of 650 MB free space
9 GB free space for creating a DVD image file ( 9 GB for double layer; 5 GB for single layer)

SHW-1693s:
DVD+R9 4x maximum by CLV
Pentium III 450 MHz or faster CPU and 128 MB or higher RAM are required
650 MB HDD available capacity; and 5 GB free space for creating a DVD image file

Info taken from Lite-On sites here:
http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?xml_id=4_2&menu_id=4_2_7&cid=1_7_13&pid=136

And here:
http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?xml_id=4_2&menu_id=4_2_7&cid=1_7_13&pid=107

The 1635S incorporates the newest 5S chipset which should be better as it was designed to replace the older 3S on the 1693S. The number before the chipset usually indicates the production cycle which commonly starts at 3, 5, 7 & lastly 9. The higher the production number generally means more features like faster burn speeds on a wider range of media up to the drive's maximum rated capability. To sum it up:

1635S
16 = Max Burn Performance, 3 = Production Cycle, 5S = Chipset

The older 1693S has a wider range of user modified firmware that presently outperforms the newer 5S chipset drives.

Back