• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the Forums, need some advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woodywoody

Registered
Hey guys,

So I am looking to build another computer for gaming. I also want to get into the overclocking game but nothing to serious as of right now till i learn more.

Anyway, here is what I was thinking and i wanted some imput as to what you think. I am looking at two 7800 GTX512's, Probably an Asus mobo with the Dual PCI-E 16X for SLI, I can't decide if i want to get the FX-55,57 or a dial core AMD CPU but my main question is the case. I am looking at the
Koolance PC3-724BK, Black. Now it's my I understand, which is limited, that this case, for the price tag, comes with all the hardware and everything you need. The water cooler is built in. There is nothing extra I will have to buy but a Power Supply and obviously the CPU, Video Card etc.

Does anyone know if this case is worth it? Is it good? Or can you tell me of another company/case that might be worth getting.

-W

Hehe,

Well i dont have a girl, i have two jobs, a roomate and no debt lol. So year, i do have a bit to spend. Thanks for the link btw.

-W

Ok well what are some other options out there? I have never used nor really know anything about WC systems. Can you give me some names and places to look etc? Thanks.

-W

in my opinion, it may be best to start with a nice case with room to add water componentsl ater, and go with a nice air cooling while you're learning the basics. that way you dont need to worry about all the fun stuff that goes with water. then when the time comes, you can always build a custom setup and have much better performance.

that sounds like it will be a badass comp when its done, im definately jealous. with that much of a system, definately be sure to get a GOOD power supply. dont pay attention to wattage first, look at the brands. if you headover to the power supply section im sure they'd have some reccomendations. but dual 7800s will have some massive draw im sure, and the cpu will definately be pretty power hungry.

have you considerd what you'll do for storage? im sure a nice RAID 0 of raptors would be fun :D

cant forget good RAM, although i cant make any reccomendations, havnt been too up to date on it lately.

BTW, welcome to the forums. in case of emergency, the nearest senior member (blue name) can be used as a floatation device. if you havnt already done so, be sure to read all the stickies (lots of useful info ;-) ) and be sure to ask any question you may have, and we will gladly try to answer it for ya :) hope ya have a fun and long stay here at ocforums.

If you are looking into water cooling i would recommend a Lian-Li Pc-75, V1000, or V2000. Or the Coolermaster CM Stacker. When looking to build a water cooling system, it is better to customize your own rather than buying a kit. If you are looking for the best of the best, then this will allow you obtain these parts. What is great about these forums is the classifieds. If you dont mind things being a little used, you can save lots of money. For instance myself, I bought a $240 system for $160.

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

^i just read what he typed and that is a very good recommendation. Start off with air so you learn how PC cooling works. Buy a case that can fit watercooling, so when you think you are ready, a new case will not be needed.

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually already have my Raptors for my Raid 0 Set-Up. And i have 2gig's or Corsair XMS 2.2.2.5 plat memory 3200 DDR400 of coruse. Since, as far as i know, AMD does not support DDR2 or at least i can't find a socket 939 board that supports it. But i do have my heart set on the AMD X2 4800.

I will check out those cases.

-W

awesome! im sure that x2 4800 would be enough to make me need to change the boxers. im thinking i might be able to afford one of the low / bottom end X2s sometime, but need new ram first, and cant seem to save the money to get some.

i dont know if its still even bein made, but i reccomend an antec 1040 case, they are freakin solid, i love mine. I prefer a solid strong case that i can stand on if i decide it's necessary and might have a bit of weight to it as opposed to the cheap tin foil cases that dent when you try to slide it across a desk. i think newegg has a spot to list what material the case is, i reccomend goin with the 1 mm thick ones, or aluminum. Also would be nice to have 120mm fan places stock, so you dont have to cut your own. 120 mm fans are quieterfor the same airflow as an 80, and the noise is more tolerable than the higher pitched screams of 80s.

Ok cool, i will check that out. Wouldn;t buying a case like the Koolance one i mention before be alot easier to set up? I would really like to go water cooled asap and if it coes with everything alrady equiped and in it's proper location, that just seems easier to me then buying something and installing it all later.

-W

woodywoody said:
Ok cool, i will check that out. Wouldn;t buying a case like the Koolance one i mention before be alot easier to set up? I would really like to go water cooled asap and if it coes with everything alrady equiped and in it's proper location, that just seems easier to me then buying something and installing it all later.

-W

dont go with koolance. Its not worth it. Its not hard at all to setup watercooling.

i was actually looking around last night and i found the Thermaltake TaiChi or however you spell it. It that a good case? It looks freakin solid as hell and comes with a water system already.

-W

I would shy away from most things TT. I would recommend the v1000 or v2000 as mentioned, with air, then in a month or two you start toying with water, once you get used to the computer.

Ok if i go with air, is there anything special i shold get over the stock heatsink and fan? Also, what water system shuold i get when i do decide to go water?

-W

You should build a custom WC system if you feel OK with it, will offer the best performance and also the best price. As for your air cooling, how much are you willing to spend? And what is your noise tolerance? There's a lotta posts with good info about heatsinks, I'll try to dig up a couple.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=426853
The second post covers a lot of coolers/fans.

Money is not really an issue. I mean, i don't want to spend 400 bucks on a air system and then spend another 500 on a water cooled system a month later. And as for noise, i actually sleep with my raido on a channel with no reception and i keep the volume loud. I don't mind loud constant noice at all. In fact, i like it.

-W

woodywoody said:
Money is not really an issue. I mean, i don't want to spend 400 bucks on a air system and then spend another 500 on a water cooled system a month later. And as for noise, i actually sleep with my raido on a channel with no reception and i keep the volume loud. I don't mind loud constant noice at all. In fact, i like it.

-W

If money is not an issue, go phase cooling
Looking at what you want to buy, we can clearly see you hvae more cash than you know what to do with...

ANd if you plan on overclocking... once again, phase cooling will beat water hands down.

High end air, comes very close to DIY watercooling setups, and are just as good if not better than watercooling kits.

Back