• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron or X2...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BstOnTheBrain

Registered
Whats would be a better processor for solid Gaming and SOME media (music, images, surfing internet)..The AMD Opteron or the AMD X2 Dual-Core..i want to make room for the future too..

Opterons are all around better than the x2 and venices/SDs. They clock higher, are cheaper ( at least were, wait till after holidays), and are more stable. They also all have 1mb l2 caches.

If you are talking about single core opteron vs. dual core x2 64, the x2 is probably better for many things, but dual core to dual core, go with the opteron, if you can find it.

Well the single Opteron 170 for $500 (the Dual is like $1000+ isnt it?) or so im trying to compare to like the X2 4800 for around $500 too..

do you plan on overclocking, because the opterons clock higher than the x2. the x2's are just more stable at their stock speeds.

BstOnTheBrain said:
Well the single Opteron 170 for $500 (the Dual is like $1000+ isnt it?) or so im trying to compare to like the X2 4800 for around $500 too..

The opteron 165 and higher are all dual-cores that run on socket 939 motherboards. The ones that are like 280 or 860 or w/e are socket 940 processors (for servers) and those are the ones that cost $1000+.

Single core: Opteron 144, 146, 148
Dual core: Opteron 165, 170, 175, 180

If you're overclocking, either get a 165 (since it can overclock just as well as a 170) or a 175 because of the 2MB cache.

Basically, the opteron is a better version than the x2, exactly for the reasons you said. "The opteron is a server CPU". This means it has to be manufactured to be more stable, and that it just so happens it overclocks very, very well, due to that stability. If you want performance, get the opty. And like I said, wait till after holidays. Expect to see huge price drops.

Yeah im building a hardcore gaming rig so i dont see why i shouldnt go ahead and try to overclock it..you can overclock dual-cores? i probably wont finisih it til after the Holidays so ill wait for the really expensive items to buy last

YOu might not want to wait on it if you go with the opty. They are in short supply and no one really knows whether or not they will be available in january.

And yes, you can oc dual cores. They are getting really nice numbers on x2's and esp. optys.

When did they come out with them? Are they really in that short of supply..i never heard that they werent..hmmm ill def. have to look into it

bLack0ut said:
Basically, the opteron is a better version than the x2, exactly for the reasons you said. "The opteron is a server CPU". This means it has to be manufactured to be more stable, and that it just so happens it overclocks very, very well, due to that stability. If you want performance, get the opty. And like I said, wait till after holidays. Expect to see huge price drops.

I am not from your part of the world, so when exactly is "after the holidays"?
Also what kind of price drops are you expecting??

After the holidays would be around the beginning of january. Price drops mean the kind of changes that usually happens after xmas. I'd say at least a 10% markdown.

bLack0ut said:
After the holidays would be around the beginning of january. Price drops mean the kind of changes that usually happens after xmas. I'd say at least a 10% markdown.

Well thats good cause im moving into my apartment around that time so i can order it all to there awesome

no matter X2 or Opteron, they all good. Opteron doesn't oc better than X2 at all, all dependes on ur luck :)

Mine Opteron 170 only stable at 2.5G @ 1.525v. Also I see another guy's Opteron 165 only stable at 2.5G as well. Some X2 4400+ does 2.8GHz, the dual core Opteron just has the same core as X2 4400+ and 4800+.

Last edited:
Cemson said:
no matter X2 or Opteron, they all good. Opteron doesn't oc better than X2 at all, all dependes on ur luck :)

Mine Opteron 170 only stable at 2.5G @ 1.525v. Also I see another guy's Opteron 165 only stable at 2.5G as well. Some X2 4400+ does 2.8GHz, the dual core Opteron just has the same core as X2 4400+ and 4800+.
What he said ^

It's more luck of the draw than anything. I don't know why people say Opterons are more stable than X2's. Both are stable CPU's. I've seen crazy overclocks on both X2's and Opterons dual cores, and some not-so-good ones.

I was considering getting a dual core Opterton, but went with the X2 3800+ instead due to avaliability and price. I'm just hoping to hit 2.5ghz (250 HTT to run the RAM I'm getting at optimal speeds), and from what I've seen the majority of them don't have much trouble hitting those speeds.

I'd say go with whichever fits your budget. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either, long as you stick with dual core. ;)

it all matters how lucky you are. too many people on here draw conclusions and get sucked into the stepping/week/batch/odor etc bandwagon. i swear some people wont shutup about the week or where others ordered it from. just cuz 1-3 people on here did well on their overclock, doesnt mean everyone afterwards will.

there are plenty of good X2s and Opterons, just like there is a fair share of less stable ones.

Back