• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 7000 Series X3D Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sadly, we didn't have a chance to review these CPUs, however, our friends from around the internet have. Outside of the price of the 7950X3D, it looks to be a solid CPU. I think the real winner is going to be the 7800X3D.... lower price, single CCD = winning.

Thoughts?

Here's a list of reviews.... feel free to suggest others and I willl add it to the first post. :)

I wasn’t impressed with the cost of it as well. Looks like a money grab to me, aka why they are releasing the 7800 two months later is shady.. I think it’s interesting how AMD can’t give us a “super” chip. The 7800x3D could be a monster but they downclock it hard compared to the other two. (If I remember right, you couldn’t OC the 5800x3d right?) The next question I have is: how does having a strong gpu affect which one to get? With the way these function, is there going to be a worse bottleneck on the 7900+ models versus the 7800 because of the cores shutting off while playing games?

I don’t think I can justify spending that much for the 7950x3d but the 7900x3d looks better (price wise) of course they didn’t send them out for reviews. however, will I lose “enough” performance with a 7900xtx that I should justify the 7900+ Models

The 7800X3D sounds like its right up my alley, but the locked multiplier is kind of a bummer.

W1zzard made a review with locked cores so it supposed to perform like 7800X3D - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ryzen-7800x3d-performance-preview/

The CPU looks great, but I still have mixed feelings. If someone already has non-X Ryzen 7000 then I don't see any real reason to buy the X3D version. Some games perform much better, but mainly at lower display settings/resolution. The same in comparisons we can see mainly 120FPS+, so for most users it won't change much if the CPU adds next 20-30FPS or not.
Looking at most tests, 7800X3D will perform in games not much better than the 7900X, while the price won't be much different too. Looks like a mix of cores with 3D cache and regular cores, but at higher frequency gives better results. I can be wrong but the 7900X3D can be the best option looking at performance/price.

These are just some thoughts after checking a few reviews.

The way the results are presented could be clearer. "disabled CCD1" seems to be the cache option. It looks very promising, as it is most like the 7950X3D in gaming perf but will be at much lower cost. The "disabled CCD0" ones being higher clock cores hangs around 7700X levels. Sounds about right. Of the games they tested the only one that liked clock more than cache seemed to be CS:GO, but that's an ancient game by current standards and seems to be entirely CPU limited.

Well what you could do is sell your current 7K series CPU to upgrade. Otherwise it's a good upgrade for those still on AM4.

I really like the power consumption for the performance, but similar could be had by power throttling the other CPUs.

With new CPUs, there is also a new AGESA. Most manufacturers skipped 1.0.0.4 as it was causing various problems, and there is 1.0.0.5 with some additional patches. Regardless if you upgrade the CPU to the X3D version or not, there are probably some improvements.
There are expected Windows patches for scheduling and picking optimal cores for each task. I guess that AMD is still working with Microsoft to add it. Knowing their cooperation, it may take some weeks or some months ;)

I'm surprised there are so many bad comments about the 7900X3D made by people who didn't even test this CPU. First reviews show it's barely worse than the 7950X3D, and I doubt that the 6 vs 8 cores with 3D cache are the reason for that, as most games perform exactly the same at 6 and 8 cores for regular CPUs (without 3D cache).

Most comments look like '7950X3D is great but highly overpriced, better skip it and buy 7800X3D'. '7900X3D is bad and overpriced, don't waste money, wait for 7800X3D which will be for sure better'.
People will be surprised to see 7800X3D more expensive than expected. In my local stores, the 7900X3D is listed for about $200 less than the 7950X3D. The key difference is that 7900X3D is not selling at all, and 7950X3D is not available as all of them were sold out the first day and already sit on auctions for $200+ above MSRP (+23% local VAT). I guess that not much different is in other EU countries. I wasn't checking the US market.

I look at CPU reviews, and I see that most websites focus on results at 1080p or compare performance gain when there is already 150FPS+. Who buys 7950X3D +RTX4090 to play at 1080p? At high details 1440p and 4k+ there is not so big difference between CPUs. In some games at 4K, 13600k is almost as fast as 7950X3D. Maybe people have problems with reading test results.

Who buys 7950X3D +RTX4090 to play at 1080p?
People who are looking to get the most FPS they can, I guess.

Remember, there are 240/360Hz monitors out with 540Hz on the cusp of release. Competitive FPS gamers, in particular, tend to play 1080p (or less) just to get higher FPS. It's a bit of a niche in that respect. If people are getting these things for high res gaming.....well, I'll agree with your assessment that people need to comprehend what they read a lot better, lol.

What's interesting is techpowerup's results that show almost zero (significant) difference at 1080p...it's been known for YEARS that CPUs matter less and less as the res goes up.

Last edited:
I think people get caught up in the charts and who's on top, and forget that they are designed to illustrate the small difference between very competitive products. If you look at stuff that's a generation or two older, for the most part, they all appear to have the same or similar performance compared to the current gen. In other words, its more about the status symbol than the actual impact on performance for some people.

Everyone has a different idea of disposable income and hobbies, I feel fortunate to be able to have some pricy hobbies and flexibility in my finances, but I also can't see spending more than a few hundred on a CPU when my real world impact would not be perceptible to the human eye. One of YouTubers should do a coke vs pepsi bit with last gen 6 core and current gen flagship and see if anyone can even tell.

For a while I was caught up in trying to make a poorly optimized aging platform (DCS) work well in VR, but I really was putting some hours into it and working nights while on lockdown. So I had nothing else to do, now I have lots of other things to do and spending money to try and make something work well that just won't isn't on my agenda.

When chosen reviewers get early samples so they can publish close to release, they don't know what street price is going to be like. Without looking myself, I have to guess the 7900X3D vs 7950X3D is similar to that. MSRP may be tighter than street, which changes the value judgement by actual buyers. We saw this also with the 7900XT vs XTX. The MSRP price difference was insignificant making most reviewers questioning the XT's reason for existing. Street pricing was wider making the XT viable.

Personally it does seem like a lot of noise made by people who weren't going to buy it anyway. I'd include myself in that :D Those that know what they want will get what they want anyway.

All these reviews and results convinced me to buy ... one more Ryzen 5 7600 :p I have one additional B650E ITX mobo, so will just sell 12600k to cover the CPU cost and switch my gaming PC to AMD.

People who are looking to get the most FPS they can, I guess.

Remember, there are 240/360Hz monitors out with 540Hz on the cusp of release. Competitive FPS gamers, in particular, tend to play 1080p (or less) just to get higher FPS. It's a bit of a niche in that respect. If people are getting these things for high res gaming.....well, I'll agree with your assessment that people need to comprehend what they read a lot better, lol.

What's interesting is techpowerup's results that show almost zero (significant) difference at 1080p...it's been known for YEARS that CPUs matter less and less as the res goes up.

i think any more its people who dont know what they are buying for.

i play at 1080 and on my main system run a 3600x and a 2070.
I was planning on going 5xxx series and a 4080 but then the 4 series cards came out and the price was a huge bummer so i changed tactic and now waiting for the 7800x3d, kinda have been since it was announced.
I scored a nice 3070ti a few months back, in lieu of the over priced 4 series card, its currently jammed in my tv system but will go into the 7800 build, its probably going to be the only major component that wont be new.
its been a while since i did a big build, its all been incremental and then oh i have spare parts enough to make another system. but with that being said, i know i mainly operate at 1080p, not because of FPS but because i'd like my games to still look like games.
i think a lot of these people build this bitchen system and totally forget they are using some crap 1080p monitor with a refresh rate that only teases you at 59Hz

Lol, anything is possible, yes. I'm sure there are plenty that don't know what they are doing too.

but with that being said, i know i mainly operate at 1080p, not because of FPS but because i'd like my games to still look like games.
What does this mean?

Most people will be GPU limited before CPU limited due to how expensive GPUs have become, but if you are a heavy simulation gamer, these new CPUs are in a league of their own. One of the best examples is Factorio. They also use half the power of the other top tier CPUs so that's a nice benefit if trying for a more compact build. There's also the best at any cost crowd which will go for the 7950x3d.

1678919408753.png

Back