• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and 7700X Review: The Dawn of ZEN 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I feel the 7600X/7700X with a B650E will be a better value proposition for the casual gamer. The X670 features and cost are just overkill for my purposes at least.

~6 cores at ~4.5GHz or higher are still optimal for games and I don't think it will change anytime soon. It's great to see that AMD improved pretty much everything and new series have much higher boost clocks.
I'm using 12600K for gaming right now and I don't think I will change it anytime soon (unless someone asks if I have it for sale then I switch to 13600K). The test/review rig will be much stronger as always.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters if it's EXPO or XMP. All counting manufacturers will provide support for both. It may matter for less popular brands where the QVL is much shorter, and BIOS teams do not know what they are doing, so they focus on a few popular RAM kits.
I'm not sure what is the real difference in sub-timings, but when you check G.Skill or Corsair kits, then you find exactly the same main profiles for AMD and Intel kits. There are also only ~3 popular IC in DDR5, so the choice is really limited. More will come in 3-5 months, but also maybe 2 new IC, nothing more. Count that everything 6000+ nowadays is based on Hynix M or Samsung B. Everything CL34 or less is Hynix M. What's good is that every Samsung or Hynix kit in stores will make 6600-6800 and these higher binned up to 7400+. How high they can make highly depends on motherboards.
In short, I feel that EXPO is so far only pure marketing.

Last edited:
Seriously. I don't understand why Intel and AMD talk up their IHS improvement game when bare-die continues to show seemingly increasing performance gains to lidded.
I agree... but, the problem is 99.999999999999999999% if PC users don't have the chutzpah to run bare die. It's an extreme enthusiast thing because of how fragile the setup is and the increased risk of the entire process. For the average user, what's the tangible takeaway?

That's still there... 7950X is not.

I agree... but, the problem is 99.999999999999999999% if PC users don't have the chutzpah to run bare die. It's an extreme enthusiast thing because of how fragile the setup is and the increased risk of the entire process. For the average user, what's the tangible takeaway?

I agree. But it just seems odd that on Coffee Lake the IHS temp improvement was 10-15C or so, and now we're looking at 20C? Only thing I can think of is that the power densities keep going up making it harder to get the heat out.

I agree. But it just seems odd that on Coffee Lake the IHS temp improvement was 10-15C or so, and now we're looking at 20C? Only thing I can think of is that the power densities keep going up making it harder to get the heat out.
That has absolutely been the issue. :)

Great review! All I can say is the king CPU still is the 5800X3D. lol Beating all these CPUs in some of the game titles. Any ways these new CPU are impressive just not sure if I can go that route due to the termals.

I can haz 7700X3D some day?

ECO mode seems to work great on these for lowering temps and keeping good efficiency if you're cooling limited. Or just let the built in thermal management handle things.

I was checking after midnight. I have an in stock notification set for best buy
Newegg canada had stock same zs canada computers.
Post magically merged:

If you're asking about base processor speed, there was a discrepancy between the AMD site and the press kit. As you see I went with the press kit info. From what I have seen the base speed is irrelevant. Every CPU I had and I have seen in other reviews today boosted to 5.2 GHz under quite heavy benchmarks.
Nice review Johan..... looking forward to an upgrade. I'm in the middle of moving so no playtime till I get settled in early November.

Last edited:
I can haz 7700X3D some day?

ECO mode seems to work great on these for lowering temps and keeping good efficiency if you're cooling limited. Or just let the built in thermal management handle things.
There were some suggestions from AMD that 3D cache CPUs will be released at the beginning of the next year (around March). Of course, it may change. If Intel releases something that causes AMD problems, we may see it earlier than expected.
I just think it's amazing how they went from a ~4.9GHz boost to ~5.7GHz in one generation.

Great review! All I can say is the king CPU still is the 5800X3D. lol Beating all these CPUs in some of the game titles. Any ways these new CPU are impressive just not sure if I can go that route due to the termals.
Actually, 95°C is a throttle point for the last couple of series, the same for AMD and Intel. It doesn't matter how hot the CPU is as long as it's stable. AMD 5900X/5950X and even 5800X are running at 90°C+ on most available coolers, so it's not a big difference.

I guess BIOS is still in the beta stage so we may see some improvements in some weeks/months.

Question with my setup is it even worth upgrading or skipping these lines up from AMD and Intel for a year or two?

That depends on your uses really. You've seen the benchmarks, you understand your workflow (or gaming). Is what you've seen worth it? :)

The difficult part is my rig is sufficient unto my needs, probably indefinitly. But I'm a few generations behind now and as much as reading about tech is fun, it's so much better to get hands-on time with the parts. Like 'a surgeon that would still give you a bottle of whiskey and a leather belt to chomp on while he cuts off your leg' type falling behind. Decisions aren't always about work flow in PCs. It's just simply fun. Oh yeah, and expensive.

That depends on your uses really. You've seen the benchmarks, you understand your workflow (or gaming). Is what you've seen worth it? :)
Not IF I have to have an LN2 tank in my office. :ROFLMAO: I am heavily considering the the13900K route because of that. Plus the 24-cores for Unreal Engine, Blender, Unity Engine, etc... sounds nice. Now AMD 7000 series have really nice pure performance I'm just worried about the heat. I will be running on an air cooler, not an AIO so yet kind of sucky even though I have a 280mm aio.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
The difficult part is my rig is sufficient unto my needs, probably indefinitly. But I'm a few generations behind now and as much as reading about tech is fun, it's so much better to get hands-on time with the parts. Like 'a surgeon that would still give you a bottle of whiskey and a leather belt to chomp on while he cuts off your leg' type falling behind. Decisions aren't always about work flow in PCs. It's just simply fun. Oh yeah, and expensive.
The feels, and how much do I want to play with new toys... that's even less up to others! How the heck do I know if that's worth it? I just know the metrics! :rofl:

But if you have the inclination... FRICK YEAH! DO IT! :rock: :soda:

ugh.... i SOOOOOOO wanted to wait for the AM5 platform before building Forgotten Legend.... but so far it's letting me game at 2560x1600 most games around 90fps or more. at max settings.. very few drop into the 40s, but methinks a rtx 4080 or higher will fix that "problem." even though i'd really like to have 5.7 GHz 5900x /5950x...

one thing i am still trying to wrap my head around, is why is 512bit instructions done as 256x2. i think they talked bout this on NG, seems in single core test in cinebench it was behind intel. yet when it was in mutli core it smashed it, so how does that = faster in multi core at 256x2. different way to do the same thing, they got what they were after really. they smashed intel pretty well in multi core benchmarks and some about even with intel.

one thing i am still trying to wrap my head around, is why is 512bit instructions done as 256x2. i think they talked bout this on NG, seems in single core test in cinebench it was behind intel. yet when it was in mutli core it smashed it, so how does that = faster in multi core at 256x2. different way to do the same thing, they got what they were after really. they smashed intel pretty well in multi core benchmarks and some about even with intel.

I don't think you can directly compare Intel and AMD anymore. These E-cores in Intel CPUs are not always working as they should and are significantly slower. The highest Intel right now (counting recent home series) is 12900K/KS, so 24 threads, but 8 of them are the low performance/low frequency. Ryzen 7900X has 24 threads and all at a high frequency and high performance. There is still 7950X with more threads. Where they lose with instructions, they gain with more threads or higher clocks (looking at general specs, Intels drop frequency more under all core load).
As I remember, AMD was always pretty good in Cinebench, so that's another thing. New Intel CPUs need optimized software to run fast without E-core issues. AMD doesn't have problems like that.

Edit:
I just noticed you can pre-order 13900K in local stores (my local as in Poland). The store has info that they will start shipping on the 20th of Oct. 13900K is a 32-thread CPU, but 16 cores are efficient. Looks like they wanted to beat AMD with a 100MHz higher max turbo clock for single cores, but the average for all cores under load is less than for the AMD 7k series.

Last edited:
Back