• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and 7700X Review: The Dawn of ZEN 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, I have been looking at this. All look good but I realize those awesome to turbo speeds can be a pipe dream.

I got the bug and money never really matters to me (it does but not a few hundred dollar difference) so I am looking at worst case scenario for my usage. The 7900 and 7600 seem to be the best of the 4 to be released. I may have to go 7900.

I see that AIDA64 is not fully optimized for the new Ryzen. The latency results are pretty good, bandwidth not so much. The motherboard BIOS seems like a beta too, but this is expected. It still looks pretty good, but hopefully, it will look much better after some updates ;)
I noticed that the first EXPO DDR5 kits were announced some days ago or without any earlier info added to the product pages. When I was writing the Corsair DDR5-6600 review, then they already had AMD kits on the list. I don't think they're any different than Intel kits, especially when there are 3-4 IC on the market and most brands declare compatibility with EXPO and XMP.

All look good but I realize those awesome to turbo speeds can be a pipe dream.
What do you mean? Any capable board (all X670E/X670 I'd bet, overwhelming majority of B650) with capable cooling will allow the CPU to boost to those boost speeds. All core is 5.2 GHz, and lightly threaded two cores can reach 5.7Ghz. That's just how it works. Temps need to be in order, but... that's a given.

What do you mean? Any capable board (all X670E/X670 I'd bet, overwhelming majority of B650) with capable cooling will allow the CPU to boost to those boost speeds. All core is 5.2 GHz, and lightly threaded two cores can reach 5.7Ghz. That's just how it works. Temps need to be in order, but... that's a given.

Depends on the workload and computer location. Throttling is real, you know that. But no matter.

Here it is Apple to apples and MHz matter to my for my usage. I do not have room in the case I am using for exotic cooling solutions. I will be stuck with the best low profile, air only, cpu cooling solution I can get.

So really, for this application I only need 4 cores. That means I can use up to infinity cores but clocks matter.

Under heavy throttled load the 7900x will be able to get the most work done (remember 4 cores) worst case scenario. If everything were perfect then the 7950x would be best but I cannot create a perfect setup for benching in the location and case I am using.

I can see the potential for the 7600X to beat the 7950X in a scenario or two. That would be very rare though.

My best pick in this batch is the 7900X. More cores than I need and a better clock speed window.

By the way, good job.

Last edited:
Depends on the workload and computer location. Throttling is real, you know that. But no matter.
I mean, sure, you stuff your shyte in a closet with no airflow.......but I also mentioned temps. Keep it under 95C and it doesn't throttle.

I can see the potential for the 7600X to beat the 7950X in a scenario or two. That would be very rare though.
Curious what scenario that's in... :)

I mean, sure, you stuff your shyte in a closet with no airflow.......but I also mentioned temps. Keep it under 95C and it doesn't throttle.

Curious what scenario that's in... :)
Very high load low thread usage on a sytem with normal but good air cooling.

The architecture is the same so more cores, even if they are pretty much idle, generates more heat to be discipated. The 7600 is 200 mhz faster than the 7950 on the low end of the MHz window.

Still it will remain cooler due to the lack of cores.

I should test this for fun. Get back into the game.

Wanna make a bet? I know how to choke a system. But there again because of the extra processing power of the 7950 there will be time when more work in general will be done in total even if the cpu is throttled and running 200MHz slower.

You know me. I do not have airflow issues but I am limited to CPU cooling sulutions.

Did I mention that closet will soon be the coolest room in the house? Intake for my heat pump water heater will come from the attic, exhaust ( cool to cold air) will vent to the closet.

Last edited:
I see now... yeah, two threads boost 200 Mhz higher. So in cases where there are two threads, it will run faster. Gotcha.

I see now... yeah, two threads boost 200 Mhz higher. So in cases where there are two threads, it will run faster. Gotcha.

Yeah, it would be in rare cases and if I were still benching... oh crap you gave me an idea. Undervolting just a tad could allow for higher sustained boost and possibly allow for an overall cooler systen.

Which is correct? I was going by the AMD information on CPU speeds, not ours from the review. Screenshot_20220926-133924_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220926-131742_Chrome.jpg

If our is correct then everything I have said in this thread is moot.

If you're asking about base processor speed, there was a discrepancy between the AMD site and the press kit. As you see I went with the press kit info. From what I have seen the base speed is irrelevant. Every CPU I had and I have seen in other reviews today boosted to 5.2 GHz under quite heavy benchmarks.

If you're asking about base processor speed, there was a discrepancy between the AMD site and the press kit. As you see I went with the press kit info. From what I have seen the base speed is irrelevant. Every CPU I had and I have seen in other reviews today boosted to 5.2 GHz under quite heavy benchmarks.
Thanks, I was just going by the AMD stuff. We all know you can force a CPU to throttle. But thanks for the 5.2 information, sounds very realistic.

Glad to see the site got some review samples.

I feel the 7600X/7700X with a B650E will be a better value proposition for the casual gamer. The X670 features and cost are just overkill for my purposes at least.

Derbauer has already cracked the IHS off for testing. I expected better out of the OEM IHS.....maybe that's because it just looks cool.

Not from any 3rd party sellers on Amazon before it releases............ :bday:

They are supposed to be out today so, I'd start at the usual places... Newegg, B&H, microcenter...and amazon again when they are officially 'available'.

I was checking after midnight. I have an in stock notification set for best buy

Back