• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Announces Ryzen 7000X3D Release Dates and Pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

1-21-Cropped-1.jpg
AMD has finally announced the release date and pricing for its highly anticipated 7000X3D processors. Gamers and enthusiasts alike will be able to purchase a Ryzen 9 7950X3D and Ryzen 9 7900X3D starting February 28th. Pricing is reasonable as well at $699 for the 7950X3D and $599 for the 7900X3D. AMD plans to follow up with the release of its 7800X3D on April 6th for a slightly more budget friendly $449.
Click here to read more!

man, i fi could afford it... i don't know which Ryzen 9 Zen4 i'd get....
for my own use, i primarily game, but occasionally do minor audio editing, which requires more cores for faster encoding. Also, the main game i play benefits from more cores in DX11. (practically +50% to +100% more FPS in this one game DX11 vs DX9 because of the the better utilization of multithreading and speed of integrating those "side-threads" back into the main thread)
i'm guessing that i'd get the best bang out of a 7950X3D.
IF i could afford it right now... LoL guess i'll just have to wait til everything is 5th gen (PCIe NVMe's, GPU, etc....) still waiting on a 5.0 samsung NVMe
ugh... why am i always so broke? *looks at signature* oh yeah...

As I mentioned in another thread, I wanted 7800X3D, but the huge delay in the release date made me go with Ryzen 7600. Actually, after checking multiple comparisons about how many cores games can use, it's a ~0-5% loss vs 8-16 core options, so I don't care. I won't play at low display resolution trying to pass 200FPS, so it won't make me any difference. I already checked that my CPU can make 5.4GHz on all cores and at about 95-98W, so is perfect for SFF.

I don't know what to think about Samsung SSD. Recent news shows a design flaw in Samsung 990 causing it to show faster than typical degradation. Samsung 980 Pro was failing at work (we had only 8, but 4 went to RMA after a few months). In the same time, I don't have problems with brands like Crucial, Silicon Power or Kingston. I don't say it's a rule, but at least for me, Samsung doesn't look so great. I could still use PCIE 5.0 SSD, just because I want it :) I highly doubt I will see any difference compared to PCIE 4.0.

This thread is about the cpus, but I heard 980 pro 2tb was having issues and needed to update firmware....

This thread is about the cpus, but there are two different 980 Pro - one is single sided, another one is double sided (different capacity chips). Both double sided 2TB Pro that back to me from RMA were replaced to single sided, and so far work without issues.

The news didn't mention single or double sided, just the firmwares that were affected (and sometimes 1TB drives). ;)

I was hoping for a news article, but will post something in the forums and link it so we can get back to the CPU.......

Ooooh! It's one of those "X3D" thingies! I only recently learned what they were! :) (Though I have NO IDEA what the difference between the "X3D" and the "X" is...)

The 7800X3D or the 7900X3D would be my picks if I were building right now.
Id love to upgrade from my FX system soonish, but all my extra $$ is being funneled to other projects currently.
Post magically merged:

Ooooh! It's one of those "X3D" thingies! I only recently learned what they were! :) (Though I have NO IDEA what the difference between the "X3D" and the "X" is...)
The X3D indicates it has the 3d V cache included.

The X3D indicates it has the 3d V cache included.

I only add that:
X = all "fast" cores, but no 3D cache = fast in general and boosts about the same (+/- 100MHz) on all cores
X3D = one CCD has 3D cache, one not (7800X3D has only one, 3D cache CCD) = 3D cache is significantly faster in some games but may run at a lower frequency, so can be worse for more standard tasks (that can't take advantage of 3D cache)

3D cache cores will be limited to about 5GHz, but AMD mentioned they're unlocked in 7000 CPUs (5000 were locked). We still don't really know how they will OC. Non-3D cache cores boost up to ~5.8GHz at auto settings.

Yeah but what the hell is "3D cache"? You can see the cache physically manifested in the real world like a hologram or what?!

I hate when people come up with stupid names for things. I mean... isn't it really just "cache"? Or maybe they could just say what KIND of cache it is.

Yeah I'm sure it's some kind of alliterative acronym... but the hell with that! Let's restore SOME kind of order to these insane naming schemes...

Yeah but what the hell is "3D cache"? You can see the cache physically manifested in the real world like a hologram or what?!

I hate when people come up with stupid names for things. I mean... isn't it really just "cache"? Or maybe they could just say what KIND of cache it is.

Yeah I'm sure it's some kind of alliterative acronym... but the hell with that! Let's restore SOME kind of order to these insane naming schemes...
Maybe it does make sense... if you know what it is?

:cheers:

stupid name for stacked vertically cache, since it's not only "flat" but "goes up" then it's 3D :)

Locked on 5 series because the stacked cache can only withstand 1.35v. They used the tech on server side stuff with success. That's where they grabbed the cache from. On 7 series I don't know. They say it will be unlocked with PBO and will have CO enabled.. but 5 series does too. And I dont know f its just me but... I have never seen 1.3v let alone 1.35v. I know my chip can do 4600-4700 but they wont let it.

I didn't want to buy an X3D CPU just after release, but somehow I decided to get a 7800X3D earlier this month. This CPU is something weird (in a good way, I guess), and this is why:
1. No matter what cooler I used, it boosted up to 5040MHz at 75-91% of temp limit (which in theory is 85°C with max temp limit of 89°C). Similar noise (auto fan speed), the same performance, no throttling, etc. I compared Deepcool AN600, Assassin IV, and Noctua NH-U12A with offset mount.
2. TDP is 120W. At stock or with enabled PBO, software reports 80W, all cores boost up to 5040MHz. Sadly I have no motherboard with a separate PCIe clock adjustment, so I can't overclock it.
3. No matter what RAM I used, I could make +/- 2GB/s memory read/copy and +/- 10GB/s memory write (which isn't important) and +/- 5ns latency. In short, the average was 62/95/62GB/s and 65ns. I compared 2x48GB Microns @6000 CL36 (it's literally the slowest RAM on the market.. but I overclocked it), 2x24GB Hynix @6400 CL32, and 2x24GB Hynix @8000 CL36. Microns at 5600 EXPO CL44 were barely worse in bandwidth but had 90ns latency.

It's literally like:
$150 motherboard vs $500+ = no difference
$40 cooler vs $150 = no difference
$100 RAM vs $500 = no difference

Test results and gaming benchmarks were +/- the same on all setups (exclude Microns at EXPO 5600 as it was slower).

In short. If you want a gaming CPU that runs cool and quiet, performs great, and can save money on the motherboard, cooler, and RAM, then there is no better option.

I wanted to, but the problem is that my motherboard has locked CPU voltage options for this CPU, and I guess it's normal with the X3D on any motherboard. I can't over or undervolt it. Curve or PBO options give nothing. I mean, it doesn't overclock at all like regular Ryzens. On 7600 or 7950X, when I set curve options or max boost clock I see up to 200MHz higher clock. On 7800X3D, when I set a +200 max boost clock, I still have a 5040MHz max CPU clock (well, x50.5 ratio, but bclk is slightly below 100MHz).
The only way to overclock this CPU is to bump the PCIe bus, but unless you have a magical $500+ motherboard with a separate clock gen for CPU and other devices, you can't overclock it much. I don't think any ITX motherboard has it, and right now I have only ASUS Strix B650E-I and ASRock B650E PG ITX. Both can't do that, and I can go only up to 101.5MHz without issues. I gave ASUS X670E Gene to my brother as it has only been collecting dust for the last months, so I thought he would make better use of it. I will use the 7800X3D in my gaming PC, so at least for me, it doesn't matter much if it's overclocked or not.

So it will be a bit more interesting, here is 7800X3D, ASRock B650E PG ITX, RTX4070 FE, 48GB Dominator Titanium 7200, with Deepcool Assassin IV cooler fitting so tight it touches the back and side panels.

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

Back