• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sort of game related- psu issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wandl

Ok here in WV, there are a few power interruptions so my rig has a belkin battery back up installed on it..

Anyway earlier on today, the Allegheny Electric Power guy (our power company) came out and switched our meter reading machine thing....and cut power to the house by like 2 seconds...
I come downstairs, my PC is shut off (usually its on) so ok I turn it on...nothing happens...I unplug the rig and replug it, PC turns on but nothing shows, no boot...

After about half an hour of tinkering, I replace my Fortron with some generic 425W PSU I have as a back up...it works so I assumed my Fortron got fried by the power company guy..

Anyway so I try to play ANY game..Doom 3....CS....Thief...Quake 4....all of them about 1 minute into it, just shuts down and the "Error occured, would you like to report this to Microsoft" window comes up. Yet when I surf and leave the computer on for a few hours nothing pops up..

Is my generic PSU not up to it? Is something else fried on my mobo? or rig?

any suggestions?

Its a amd 2500+ mobile proc at 2.19Ghz (208Mhz x 10.5) with 1Gb OCZ Value DDR2 RAM with Radeon 9800 XT.

hum... well what Belkin you have. Just a battery back up, or surge protection also? I'd look into that because whatever did get damaged might be covered.

If it fried the PSU it might have damaged other things, or the PSU saved everything else. Might have corrupted the OS even. But if the OS is borked then why only games, so... that's last on the list.

I'd say the PSU is probably weak, although that system isn't too power hungry....

It's all up in the air ATM for me... but chain of thought:
PSU weak - other system component (don't know which one though!!!) - OS

think I figured it out, may not be hardware related.....well my psu IS fried but I can't OC as much with this PSU as it is generic and isn't as "capable" so I toned it down to 2.1Ghz (200Mhz x 10.5) instead and been running ok since....I hope..hehe

Back