• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the clock (interrupt). Need Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clockworker

I want to test some scheduling application under stress test. I would like to speed up the time of the system. e.g. Making time running 10 times faster but not actually overclocking the CPU.

I searched and searched to no avail. :shrug:
I want to either make the clock interrupt 10 times faster or make time advance 10 times faster. Can this be done at all?

I'm testing under XP but I'm willing to switch to 98 if that's what it takes.

FWIW, even when overclocking, your actual clock should not run faster, for a few reasons--
1) Most of the time the 16-someodd MHz oscillator (or whichever oscillator) that drives the clock isn't affected by setting the system's clock frequency higher.
2) Some operating systems keep time using bogoMIPS or other similar facilities, and then sync the hardware clock periodically.

This is an interesting question, though... :D

I think the oscilator will not affect me because I don't suppose the application register for the clock interrupt but rather register to OS to wake it up. I really need a hack in the OS level.

As for clock sync, I could have the PC disconnected from network. Not sure about BogoMips method. I would assume Windows don't do that for now.

A few years ago, I heard of a program which would alter the way that windows percieves time. This program was initially used as a speed cheat in Half Life, but apparently also managed to effect benchmarks and various utility programs. The front page actually has an article about it, but the person who wrote it removed the program's name from the screenshots he took.

I'll do some googling to see if I can find this program... It might just do what you're looking for.
JigPu

JigPu said:
A few years ago, I heard of a program which would alter the way that windows percieves time. This program was initially used as a speed cheat in Half Life, but apparently also managed to effect benchmarks and various utility programs. The front page actually has an article about it, but the person who wrote it removed the program's name from the screenshots he took.

I'll do some googling to see if I can find this program... It might just do what you're looking for.
JigPu
THE VULCAN SCIENCE DIRECTORATE HAS DETERMINED THAT TIME TRAVEL IS IMPOSSIBLE! :mad:

Very cool, though.

Back