• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peppy

hmm, i got 190$ and i want to know what Athlon Xp to get I was think in of gettin the Athlon XP 1600 with 256Meg pc150
the Xp is 139 shipped & ram is 26$ shipped
in your guys best opinion what part(s) should i buy for my comp?
right now i have
Mobo - i will kk266
cpu - duron 650@850
cooler - Thermoengine with delta
ram - 256 mb pc 100 (please laugh)
psu - crap 300 watt
Vid - geforce 256 ddr
hd - 20 gb&13gb (33gb)
DVD - 10X
CDR - 12X10X24
case - none! just chassis!
Windowz Me
hmm shold i buy a 4Q Full Tower Atx Case
Price: 53$ shipped

Last edited:
I will go with an xp processor and an ocz ice150 cas2 ram $28+7shipping. For the cpu I would wait till next week and see if the new cpu price drop could get yourself an xp1700+ or a xp1600+ and save up what's left for a case later.

Why u dont go for a VIA KT266A Mobo the Epox or MSI or Shutle one I think that its the best choise for the time.
U need of course DDR mem for these Mobos.
Also why Geforce and not a KyroII 32Mb vga less money more power.

Last edited:
Im having the same problem deciding what to updrade also cpu new MoBo RAM ect.. i have $150 to spend. could someone help me decide by looking at my sig.

TRANCER24 said:
Im having the same problem deciding what to updrade also cpu new MoBo RAM ect.. i have $150 to spend. could someone help me decide by looking at my sig.

Looks to me the only thing worth upgrading TRANCER24 is your cpu and maybe add another 256mb of memory.

Depending on the price drop you should be able to get at least xp 1700+.
You can sometimes get a good deal on retail cpu's at ubid.com
I have not seen any oem cpu's there but the retails sometimes sell for less than than the lowest price on pricewatch for oem.

yep i agree with u, i think TRANCER24 only need to buy xp1700+ i might gona get one soon if the price for glacitorII drop in the next few weekz

hmmm

i would get a new mobo--the epox 8kha+ with kt266a chip

and 256mb crucial ddr ram

sell your old mobo and ram

and then spend the remaining on case and a new video card

If you do end up buying that case let me know what you think of it........I am planning to build another system in a few months and have been eyeing that case for the build.

hey peppy, i guess you wern't able to exchange your chipped tbird? :(

also where can u get that case for that price? I need a new case and want a fulltower, thats a hell of a price, hook me up with a link ;) thanks bro

I got mine at a local shop

I got one like that used at a local shop. It was cheaper than that, but it had some minor damage. Power supply was still good. But there were a few little cracks in the platic at the top corner, nothing major. The spot for a fan right above the power supply also looks like somebody stuck a screw driver or something through it in one spot. And the expansion slots didn't have any covers.

But over all I can't complain because it only cost me 31 dollars with tax. I don't know the supplier, but the local shop was selling them for 60-70 dollars new. And they always over charge. So you should be able to find it for around that price above.

I like the case, but it is my first system build. The sides come off fairly easy. One or two screws and a thumbscrew per side. It does have plenty of spots for mounting fans.

Back