• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worthy upgrade from s754 300064?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monk3y_furr

Registered
Any suggestions for a worthy upgrade from an AMD64 3000 (newcastle) s754? Looking for a platform with dual core support (for future upgrades). Doesnt have to be amd. Will be overclocking a bit, but will be buying a suitable sff (shuttle or biostar) as it needs to be portable. Reason for upgrade - my Iwill zPc64 seems to be failing in every way even when not overclocked (cpu was @ 2.25), along with my radeon 9550@near 9600pro - so i might as well go pci express as well! Want to spend around the £130 mark (which is what i paid for this cpu about a year ago).

socket 939. best amd socket ATM, DC support, OC's very well, wide range of procs to use, mainly based on PCI-E vidoe.
socket M2 will be coming out in 2006, with DDR2 RAM, but i wouldnt wait on that

if you can still find one going socket 939 and trying to pick up an opteron would be one of your best choices for overclocking, thats what i did...but i've also invested much more than you have.....which is more in the range of 700USD and climbing as long as i can afford to replace some other things.

Any suggestions for a worthy upgrade from an AMD64 3000 (newcastle) s754?
i really dont think that going into s939 will be as u said a worthly update the performance is pretty the same between my old newcasltle@ 2.5 and a venice @2.5
sure venice are clocking a lot better and new opetron a even better + the good 1 mb cache
if u are gamer so invest in new system with good video card but if the pc if for today usage your system is more than enough and fast
maybe rma the mobo and get new one if u are thinking about the mobo issue and safe your $
if look for update so go for dual first or for opetron

yeah i wouldnt consider a venice a worthy upgrade on s939 as i wont be able to clock it high enough to get the benifits. Cant Rma the motherboard as its part of a sff barebone which i modded a slight amount a few months back:p Looks like a x2 3800 or intel 820. The 3800x2 is £235 and 820 £165.....£70 difference. I know the 3800 is better as its a true dual core part but is it worth the extra money? Going to be using this rig for 3d modelling, programming, and encoding.

why not getting the dual opeton it will overclock better than the x2 for some or even lower price

you can get those dual optys for cheaper?! Have only looked for the single core ones with no luck. Can anyone recommend a retailer in the uk that sells dual core optys?

Back