• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock not passing driver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

I'm using Coolbits to overclock my 7800GT, and I think I must have an extraordinary card because ATI Tool sets it to 510 on the core and I can't notice artifacts @ 520 on the core. However, after 520 the driver won't let me turn the clock rate up any more. I can frag all day without the tiniest artifact @ 520 but anything more the driver doesn't allow.

Anyone have any tips with this?

Yeah, try Riva. There is an option in there to diable the clock test. That clock test is silly. You'll get a different number every time you test.

Warning: When you diable it, you loose some protection. Be sure to thoroughly test your OC using looping nature tests, 3DM runs, and PCMark04 runs. If it's not stable, turn it down. The clock test usually gives a conservative clock freq, but without it, you loose that "protection". It's nothing bad if you test your stuff thoroughly like a good OC'er, but fail to test it, and overheating can result, and damage to the core/mem can result.

Back