• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What makes them so good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicklgs

Hey, I been reading around and see alot about Opterons, What is so good about them? i was looking to get a Opteron 165 but I'm also looking at a AMD 64 3700+ they are $80-100 apart. Is the Opteron good for gaming? will i see a better pro formace over the 3700+? Thanks

The Opteron single cores, 144, 146, 148, 150 all have 1MB of L2 Cache, while only the 3700+ and higher have 1MB of cache. The Opteron single cores have been seen to OC really well, even with lower stock vcores, some have gotten up to 3.3ghz or so.

The Opteron dual cores, 165, 170, 175, 180 all have 2x1MB of L2 Cache, while the X2s all have 2x512KB of L2 Cache, except for the X2 4400+ and 2 4800+. The Opteron dual cores have also been seen to OC better then the X2 counterparts, and at a lower vcore of course.

Opterons can be considered good for gaming, especially since if you get the 165, which is a dual core. I'd say it's definitely worth the extra cash over a 3700+ to go for the Opteron 165, you get the benefits of a dual core and good OCability at lower voltages.

I just ordered the Opteron 165 for 299.63 lowest i seen it so far, now i got to find a good motherboard with SLi anyone know any? for cheap :)

hmm, tempting but i just can't bring myself to buying a dual-core at this point. have fun with your opty :thup:

Back