• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 64 3100+, 3400+, or Opty 144?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcastleberg

Registered
Ok, in another thread it was suggested to me that I shouldn't waste my time with the Sempron 64 3400+ and I should just get the 3100+. This would save me $25 and get me a slightly slower chip with twice the cache. Which chip is better? Also, the Opteron 144 is only a few bucks more and I've heard it compared to the 3700 San Diego which is significantly more expensive. Perhaps I should choose the 144?

I would go for s939 Opty.
s754 will be dead when AM2 hits begining of next year. s939 will still have some life left in it. + the opty can hit some crazy speeds if you get a good one + it has dual channel memory and 1MB L2, while the 3100+ has single channel mem and 256KB and won't OC as far as an Opty would.

Which one is the better chip if you took overclocking out of the equation? Am I going to have to overclock the hell out of the Opteron to make it a good deal?

An Opteron will beat the crap out of the semprons in question, even without overclocking.

How would the 144 stack up against say, the 3700 san diego? Is the $60 price premium for the 3700 worth the added performance?

Edit - What is the e4 revision of the 144?

the Opteron is San Diego.
144 = 1.8GHz
3700+ = 2.2GHz
same cache and everything else

Back