• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding salt to water???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=HN=- Wild9

just a question more of a thought

would adding salt to your resivoir for a water cooling setup, make the heat index of the water higher?

i know by adding salt to water, it will keep it from freezing at 32 F or 0 C so would it work the other way too?

salted water also boils at a warmer temperature. I can't say that it would transfer heat better, though. I just don't know that one.

Slated water should transfer heat better than tapwater, but in case of a leak, salt water would damage ur equipment very quickly, unlike distillated water.
It could also cause erosion to the metal.

Last edited:
i did a whole chapter on this last year...i think that the salt lowers the freezing point because the salt molecules 'get in the way' of the water molecules and it's harder for them to make fusion bonds(freeze). I don't know how it would help in the absorption of heat tho.

wouldn't the salt mess up your pump. I know this is not the same but then again maybe it is if you have a hand gun and you use buck shot in it you will wreck the gun. So wouldn't that apply here as well.

ugh i figure, well

some people have salt water fish tanks, well im figuring you can buy a pump for salt water :)

but i did forget about the corosion factor, i mean look at old cars from calafornia and arizona and such, no rust, now look at newer cars in milwaukee and northern states, lots of rust.

i have used powerheads in saltwater but i dont think that coolers could handle the supply(or the salt)i had three in a 200 gallon tank that pumped 150 liters per minute.thats so much water that i didn't need a heater,it kept a constant 82 f even in winter.i had thought of using one before but the pressure would be astronomical.it would empty a five gallon bucket in seconds.there are lessor rated speeds and the life of a powerhead is extremely long(mine ran nonstop for over three years),but if you use one it would need to be an open system with the intake and return underwater to reduce noise.(150 lpm is stronger than most hot tub pumps)

I wouldn't use salt, but alcohol instead. Put 20% alcohol on your watter and it acts as a antifreeze and doesn't cause corrosion. The catch is that the thermal transfer capabilities are a little worse, but the lower temperature should be able to cope with it.

I'm usually against guys that tell you to go and buy stuff, but in this case it's just easier to buy some Bardahl RadCool or some other car radiator additive. It works as a watter-wetter, antifreeze and anticorrosion, and it's not that expensive, about U$3 for 1L.

Back