• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turtle Beach vs. Creative

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanzalo

I'm looking to buy a new sound card , mainly to get a midi port and also because im using onboard sound right now. I was wondering how Turtle Beach products compare to Creative products. I've never heard of Turtle Beach products until i seen them on Newegg, and I'm not sure about their quality. Does anyone have any exprerience with Turtle Beach?

Please post in the correct forum next time.

To answer your question, Turtle Beach's cards can be quite nice, especially their higher end ones. For analog music (and DD Live on at least one of them) they are good, but fall short on gaming because of lack of newer EAX support.

Creative has always been the best for gaming especially if you use surround positioning. The card that defined Turtle Beach is the Santa Cruz which is a bit dated by now. The new star of Turtle Beach is the Montego that has DD Live as Voodoo Rufus mentioned. If your main focus is music/movies the Montego should have superior sound quality to the Creative X-Fi series except the Elite Pro version. For gaming, any Creative X-Fi card would be awesome.

i went from nforce2 soundstorm (digital out to digital reciever) to a msi neo platinum with realtek alc850 onboard sound. the realtek had good enviroment effects to surround sound but had NO major settings in control panel to tinker with so sound was poor (imo). dvd's sounded sweet though but everything else sounded muffled on highs/mids. not crisp at all. so.........after enjoying the DDL from soundstorm for 3 years and jumping to the alc850 codec, it was not a pleasant expierence for a week. i HAD to update my sound card to something better. it was either a SB or TB. i have always been impressed with the sound quality from cmedia chips and never had any driver/hardware problems with them either. so, i decided on a cmedia based sound card (which Turtle Beach uses). i saw they had a DDL card and jumped on it.

i am so satisfied with it so much that i can say it sounds better than my old soundstorm audio. (only major difference is that the turtle beach control panel didnt have all the complex settings in enviroment page like nvidia's did)

weeeellll worth the money.

Back