• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELPPPP! HD dieing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mako777

Hello. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA drive about 1 year ago. I run it sometimes 24 hours a day for weeks.

I just recently started playing the MMORPG game "World of warcraft", and i noticed in highly trafficed areas, the harddrive is making loud noises while it seeks. I guess I could compare it to...an ice-crusher?

okok, so its not TERRIBLY loud or anything, but I think it used to be quieter.

Is there a way I can run tests or check to make sure this harddrive is still running at what it is supposed to? To make sure its not going to blow up on me? Because I'm debating about buying a new harddrive, but if this is not holding me back in performace then I can deal with the noise.

Thanks for responses.

http://download.seagate.com/seatools/registration.nsf/eula/desktop

Accept the EULA and download SeaTools. Put it on a floppy or bootable CDROM and put it in the drive. Restart the computer and put a check next to your hard drive, run the FULL diagnostic (on an 80GB drive this should take 30-60 minutes). You should also run the file system and memory checks (they only take a couple minutes each).
Once it's done, it will tell you if there are any physical problems with the hard drive.

mako777 said:
Hello. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA drive about 1 year ago. I run it sometimes 24 hours a day for weeks.

I just recently started playing the MMORPG game "World of warcraft", and i noticed in highly trafficed areas, the harddrive is making loud noises while it seeks. I guess I could compare it to...an ice-crusher?

okok, so its not TERRIBLY loud or anything, but I think it used to be quieter.

Is there a way I can run tests or check to make sure this harddrive is still running at what it is supposed to? To make sure its not going to blow up on me? Because I'm debating about buying a new harddrive, but if this is not holding me back in performace then I can deal with the noise.

Thanks for responses.

I had the same problem, squeaking. Also, Active SMART reported a T.E.C. for June, 2005 when I just gotten it in May, 2005! Thus I returned it!

See my sig.

Back