• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing thermal compound from CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryanzbane

So I ordered an AMD 64 3000+ Venice which came with a generic heatsink and fan that I attached to the CPU. The generic heatsink had its own thermal paste already on the heatsink. I recently ordered a better heatsink and arctic silver 5, which should be shipping to my house in the next day or two. I know the generic thermal paste is going to be smothered all over the CPU and I wanted to know the best way to remove it, or do I even need to?

The old thermal paste must be removed. Use rubbing alcohol to clean it thoroughly. Be warned that some residue may remain and may be next to impossible to remove. Just clean it as well as you can.

That Artic Silver remover/purifier works well too, but if you rather not spend the hassle to buy the bottle just to remove thermal paste once, you can just use rubbing alcohol. Just try not to get the other side of the CPU wet.

<- hey rseven! check out my avatar! :D

On Topic:

Yes, get some Arctic Clean as DumbstixLars suggested. IMO- if you're going to use the best thermal paste on the block, you might as well not skip on the mustard and use the best thermal remover/purifier on the block. Besides, it's pretty inexpensive.

If all else fails and time/$$$ are short do as rseven says... you'll be fine.

harlam357 said:
<- hey rseven! check out my avatar! :D

On Topic:

Yes, get some Arctic Clean as DumbstixLars suggested. IMO- if you're going to use the best thermal paste on the block, you might as well not skip on the mustard and use the best thermal remover/purifier on the block. Besides, it's pretty inexpensive.

If all else fails and time/$$$ are short do as rseven says... you'll be fine.
LOL.........Cheers, Harlam! :beer:

Rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter works great for me, I got the idea from another forum member and used that the few times I've reseated my Heatsink.

Well I'd have to wait an extra 3-4 days to install my HS if I order the thermal paste remover from newegg. I'll just use alcohol. I'm not patient enough.

I used this citrus adhesive remover (scotch brand maybe :shrug: ) to get all the residue off and it worked great for me. Alcohol couldn't even compete.

Back