• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help, Computer Keeps Shutting Down!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey Guys,
I have this computer that was working fine. Then someone upgraded the power supply and wanted to see what a processor looked like and took off the heat sink and then put it back on. Then tried to power up the system but it shuts down after about 5 seconds. All the fans spin and the AGP video card fan spins up as well. Nothing beeps either so I can't get an error code. Any idea if its a bad power supply or a fried motherboard??

Thanks!!

Likely the MB thermal management shutting down due to the HSF not being properly seated and/or improper application of the TIM.

Remove the HSF, apply AS5 according to the mfg instructions and properly install the HSF. Then let us know how it goes.

Ok, I forgot to mention another issue. After the computer shuts down it will not turn back on unless I remove the power plug from the power supply and then plug it back in. That leads me to believe its the power supply or motherboard...

Thanks!

could it be that when the heatsink was unseated, it might have jerked out chip, and therefore the pins partially? hope you havnt got any broken off. this you should notice reseating and reapplying your tim anyway, if it happened...
something else get loose? something not plugged back in during the PSU swap?

This isn't my computer, someone dropped it off and explained to me what they did. I just find it weird that the computer won't power back on at all unless I remove the power cable out of the power supply and then plug it back in. Like it has to release a charge or something before it can fire back up.

xtreme404 said:
This isn't my computer, someone dropped it off and explained to me what they did. I just find it weird that the computer won't power back on at all unless I remove the power cable out of the power supply and then plug it back in. Like it has to release a charge or something before it can fire back up.

Likely that the MB thermal shutdown won't reset until it powers down. Do as orionlion82 and I have suggested and then let us know how you fare.

Back