• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

OK, I recently got a new optie (check sig) and as this is my first real experience overclocking, I had a question (ok, well many, but the stickies mostly took care of that :) ). Does it matter how much voltage you put through stuff as long are temps are ok? Or, does the added voltage kill the component faster no matter what the temps?

Added voltage does decrease the life of your processor, but also after a certain point is becomes dangerous to the health of the processor reguardless of temps. Also, dual-cores are a little more sensitive to voltage....1.55v is the absolute max I've read to use on dual-cores, and I'd feel way more comfortable at 1.4v-1.45v max myself (1.4v-1.45v set, not read in Windows...don't trust Windows, it's a liar).

I'm guessing you're on the stock cooler yes? If so, I'd say keep the stock voltage and just overclock on that...if you get more curious/want more speed, I'd suggest upgrading the cooler to something beefier and trying a hand at some voltage. Of course I'm assuming the 165 comes with the lame all-aluminum heatsink, not sure if the 165 gets it too or if that's only with the 170.

Best of luck with your overclocking. :)

No, I have a Scythe Ninja, and the fan will be upgraded soon, so I expect a nice little drop in temps there.

tsuehpsyde said:
Added voltage does decrease the life of your processor, but also after a certain point is becomes dangerous to the health of the processor reguardless of temps.

People usually say the max "safe" overvoltage of the CPU is 10%, anything after that and you start to rapidly decrease the life of the CPU. This should remain true for dual cores, but dont be discouraged of course, even with an overvoltage in excess of 10% still gives the CPU years and years of use. So unless you plan on keeping that dual core system for 5years+, then dont worry about it.

There is also a point (as you may well know) that regardless of the temps, you will kill the CPU. the only example I can think of is the S939 Venice, apparently voltages in excess of 1.75V, even on phase, the chips hve just suddenly died. As dual cores are more sensitive to voltage, I would be careful how far you go. 1.6V is the highest ive seen DC CPUs run, so theres probably a good starting point.

Careface*

Back