• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

project comp Feed back PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzgocartman

Registered
Hey im trying to get a grant from my school to build a really sweet rig. We are trying to convince them that we are going to be testing the new concept of SLI and Water Cooling.
heres the list guys.
Thanks alot.
Main Components
Case Thermaltake XASER Armor Series Black
Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD Support
Memory - Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1GB) DDR 400
Power Supply - Xion 600-Watt ATX SLI Ready 140mm
CPU - AMD Athalon 64 FX57 1GHz FSB
Video Card - (2)BFGTech 7800GTX OC'd 512MB
Wireless Networking - Linksys WMP54GS Wireless Adapter w/SpeedBooster
Combo Drive Lite-On Black IDE Combo Drive DVD/CD-RW
Hard Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA 3.0/Gb
Monitor - Samsung 204T 20-Inch 1600x1200 16ms Black LCD

Sound Components
Speakers - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound System 1 214.98
Sound Card - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS Gamer Limited Ed.
Cooling Supplies
Water Cooling Kit - Koolance EXOS-2 120MM Black w/o Blocks 1 $319
CPU Waterblock - Apogee Swiftech 3/8" Extreme Performance Universal $49
GPU Waterblock - (2)Koolance VID-NV2-L06 GeForce 7800 $185.98
Lighting Supplies
Laser LEDs Logisys Jumbo Blue LED Laser Case Light 6.99
Cold Cathode Lights -(2)Logisys 15in Cold Cathode w/Sound Mod Blue 17.98
Input Devices
Keyboard - Saitek Black USB Wired Eclipse Keyboard
Mouse - Logitech G7 2-Tone Laser Mouse
GRAND TOTAL $5517.75
EMAIL ME PLEASE
[email protected]

A) Why do you need to test the concept of SLI and WC? It's been done plenty of times before, it's not anything special. I don't get it. :shrug:
B) What exactly is your question? Are you just posting the parts for review? If so, I'd say build your own custom WC setup, don't buy a kit, since you're suppossed to be learning from this.
and C) How rich can your school be that they are even considering giving you over 5 and a half grand to build a computer? :bang head

a grant from your school? that is kind of laughable, but the computer itself looks great! take some time to research what gpu blocks you pick. sometimes sli can be a pain because the space is tight.

didn't you post this somehwere else befor cause I rember reading this exact post somwhere

I can easily see you cutting out about $1000 worth of crap, so you can get this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...y_id=6198&cs=19&l=en&Page=productlisting.aspx

Or even one of these:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_3007wfp?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

:drool:

So what exactly will this PC be used for, that it needs to get 450FPS+ at 2560x1600 with 4x AA in even the most demanding games? And, why single core? With the latest drivers, I think a 4800+ might actually out-perform an FX-57 in games. You could also go for the soon-to-be-released FX-60, if it isn't out already.

EDIT: It is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103608

reponse

the school said it would be able to get that kind of money for us. They said when people ask for grants most of the time its very possible for them to get it. They also mentioned that they get the money from outside companies(private investors, small corporations etc) the reason we chose the KOOLANCE system is because, the reviews were pretty good and i think it would look pretty L33T on top of that case. and the price seems to be somewhat reasonable, and anyway im not paying for it. What we plan to do with the computer is to build it, do idle tests, load tests, and oc tests. if anyone would like to give input, seriously please do. we dont want to make ourselves look like major morons in front of all of our class mates, and good friends and teachers. If you wouldnt mind, please post a list of what you all think would be the IDEAL computer as in if money was NOT a factor.

THANKS
~MATT~
[email protected] (please email me)

The ideal computer would not have cooling from a kit. It'd have a storm G5 and probably a BIXIII or that racecar rad whatshisname bought.

This is Jack222. I will say we can get the grant, this is the stupidest idea ever though. JUst go with it. (He is a noob)

switch the PSU Xion...never heard of thoses guys, as for WC go with a DIY kit...much better performence and you can get a look as sweet if you choose your component with care...

and why is it in the cooling section...it should be in the general hardware section...

wow tell me this isnt an american public school... Also you should get them to let you test submersion cooling techniques its much more undeveloped

Back