• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[PROJECT LOG] ROG/Ryzen/Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I have been playing around with RainMeter recently, though it is not quite the most exciting portion of this mod. It does help tie together the show build look I am after.

Here is a screenshot of what I have been working on tonight: (some of skins I need to figure out how to correctly monitor the corresponding data)

Screenshot (93).png

I should also note that the monitoring data being shown in the individual skins is via HWInfo64

Last edited:
Thanks guy, holy crap I didn't realize how old rainmeter is, never heard of before this year lmfao... I'm still trying to figure out how to get the processes to show and I have to figure out out to correctly edit the text on the voltages and then plug in the corresponding data needed for correct read outs. I have figured out how to get the correct readouts, but editing the text of the voltage skins and getting it to look correct is going to be fun.

*Minor Update*

Hey guys, so this isn't really anything to do with modding the case. However it does help show off the build better, I got a new desk (A real one, lol).

Here is the new layout:

PC New.jpg

I am pretty please compare to my previous desk, this will accommodate the speakers once I purchase them.

Very cool. You've got quite a sleek setup there.

I am downloading rain meter at the moment as well.. looks like an awesome piece of software, and I can't believe this is my first time hearing about it.

EDIT: Noticed you live in Waterbury VT. I love Vermont! Definitely my favorite state. I've spent a summer/winter in Stowe, VT and a few years in West Townshend, VT.

Very cool. You've got quite a sleek setup there.

I am downloading rain meter at the moment as well.. looks like an awesome piece of software, and I can't believe this is my first time hearing about it.

EDIT: Noticed you live in Waterbury VT. I love Vermont! Definitely my favorite state. I've spent a summer/winter in Stowe, VT and a few years in West Townshend, VT.

Thanks, I just have to finish paying off my broken monitor and for damage to my mothers car (stupid garage) lol and then I can start purchasing materials for the actually case mods which I am very excited for.

Yea Vermont is a cool place to live, costly for sure depending on where you live. But beautiful for sure, Stowe is cool a little to rich for me to live there lol, but it's got a cool vibe. Don't know much of the other spot other than that it is indeed in this state, lol.

Okay so the plan has completely changed now LMFAO... I've decided to build a custom loop cooler, which will mean a new case and a lots goodies.

So for starters here the new list including upgrades:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $229.99)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Hydronaut 3.9 g Thermal Paste ($14.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $214.99)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $216.99)
Storage: Patriot - Burst 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $35.99)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $106.99)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $669.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S2 Blackout – TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($165.46 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $109.99)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit (Purchased For $119.99)
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $613.66)
Keyboard: Asus - ROG Claymore Core Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $159.99)
Mouse: Asus - ROG Gladius II Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $94.69)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" Mini Valve with Black Handle, Matte Black, Body ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple) Liquid Cooling Radiator (Purchased For $120.99)
Other: EKWB EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple) Liquid Cooling Radiator (Purchased For $120.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Fitting for 12mm OD Tubing, Matte Black, 4-pack ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Fitting for 12mm OD Tubing, Matte Black, 4-pack ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower None Chamfer PETG Link Tube, 12mm OD, 1000mm, Clear, 4-pack ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower None Chamfer PETG Link Tube, 12mm OD, 1000mm, Clear, 4-pack ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EK Water Blocks EK-FC1080/ 1070/ 1060 GTX Strix Backplate - Black (Purchased For $24.94)
Other: Bitspower T-Block Fitting with Triple G1/4" Female, Matte Black ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting, Matte Black ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting, Matte Black ($15.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Adapter Fitting, 90° Rotary, Matte Black, 4-pack ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Bitspower Flow Sensor, Matte Black ($46.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" 5mm Male to Male Fitting, Matte Black, 4-pack ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Other: PrimoChill Liquid Filling Bottle - 1000mL ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Klipsch R-15PM Powered Monitor - Cherry (Pair) (Purchased For $279.00)
Other: Thermaltake CL-W153-AL00BU-A ID 10mm x OD 12mm hard tube Pacific Hard Tube Bending Kit ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-CSQ G1/4" Plug with EK Logo, Black, 4-pack ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-Vardar EVO 120ER PWM 120mm Fan, 2200 RPM, Black, 2-pack ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-Vardar EVO 120ER PWM 120mm Fan, 2200 RPM, Black, 2-pack ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-AF G1/4" FillPort, Black ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-Velocity CPU Waterblock, AMD CPU, Nickel/Plexi (Purchased For $93.95)
Other: EKWB EK-CryoFuel Solid Premix Coolant, 1000mL, Electric Purple ($36.39 @ Amazon)
Other: EKWB EK-CryoFuel Solid Premix Coolant, 1000mL, Electric Purple ($36.39 @ Amazon)
Other: Swiftech Maelstrom D5 Reservoir Pump Combo - 200mm ($159.95)
Other: EK-FC1080 GTX Strix - Nickel (Purchased For $167.47)
Total: $4548.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 22:39 EST-0500

New Case: Fractal Design Define S2 White

So I am going with this case for two reasons, one obviously being that it is far more suited to a custom loop than my Meshify C and two because there will be painting to do this time and starting white will make that far easier. And with that comes a completely different theme (I know, LMFAO!). No more lack luster brand whoring, real theme this time... :clap: I have chose to go with a Gears of War theme and for paint, Nvidia green with purple (as close to the coolant color as possible) accents.

Here is the plan for MODS:

1) Custom Loop Liquid Cooling Electric Purple (UV Reactive) Coolant/Nvidia Green Accent Fittings

2) Custom Cables Nvidia Green/Purple

3) Paint Case Nvidia Green

4) Paint Fractal Design Logo on PSU Shroud Purple

5) Purple Thumb Screws

6) Paint Purple Gear Logo on Front Panel (Large top center)

7) Paint Purplww xXSCU84ST3V3420Xx on side of PSU Shroud

8) Etch TG Panel: Gears Logo Large Center

9) Cut removed portion of PSU Shroud to accomidate Radiator/Fans

10) Paint Purple EK, Ryzen, Nvidia and ROG Logos small on bottom edge of Front Panel

11) Paint SSDs Purple

12) Custom Plexi rear panel cover (Nvidia Green)

13) Paint Radiator Fins Purple and Perimeter Nvidia Green

14) Gears of War Ticker Figures

15) UV Lighting

Here are images that I will be converting into Vinyl Graphics for Paint and Etching Stencils: (Image 1: Paint Stencil for PSU Shroud) (Image 2: Paint and Etch Stencil for Front Panel and Glass Panel, though it will be larger than displayed)

Screenshot (97).png

Gearslogo3 (2).jpg

Similar Stencils will be made up for the small font panel logos.

Last edited:
So I did a thing, I decided tax returns are too far away for me to wait and not purchase items over time. I had a good deal of extra spending money for the month of November and decided to take advantage of some decent deals and free shipping/no tax on amazon.

Purchased:

(1) EK-Velocity AMD CPU Waterblock - Nickel/Plexi
(2) EK-Coolstream XE 360mm Radiator
(1) EK-FC1080 Strix GPU Waterblock - Nickel/Plexi
(1) EK-FC1080 Strix Backplate - Nickel

I managed to snag all of this for under $600, so I am pleased with myself. Will be making another bulk purchase in the month of December and hopefully by January all the loop items will be purchase, as well as the Define S2. Then I will chill and mod the case and buy little pieces need until ZEN2 drops.

*Update*

Alright I have exhausted this months spending budget and another good chuck or hardware has been purchased and is on it's way.

Incoming Hardware:

(6) EK-Vardar EVO 120ER (Black) Fans
(1) EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB Res/Pump Combo
(1) Fractal Design Define S2 (Black) I know I said I was purchasing white, but this was on sale for $40 less I think, so I will just scuff and paint the longer way.

I am now past the halfway mark on the watercooling purchases for this build, now there are only 2 more items that are over $40 left on the list and I can begin spreading out smaller purchases where smaller amounts of spendable cash are available. I should have everything ready to go for beginning of February as far as the water cooling hardware.

Then I can start making purchases for modding supplies and hopefully by the time I have all of those rounded up I will have gotten my tax return and Zen 2 will have launched (wishful thinking). As well by that time winter will have ended and should be able to paint and mod the case and begin building.

I will add pics at towards the end of the month of the current hardware and hopefully can start getting a rough idea of how I want to achieve my loop.

*SNEAK PEAK*

So here is some of the hardware ordered over the last two months installed in the new case. It is a very tight squeeze as you can see in the second image, might be able to get a piece of paper between them at best... :rofl:

Sorry for them being sideways, the files themselves are not oriented that way when I open them in the viewer on my PC and every attempt to change it to look correct failed.

New build 1.jpg

New Build 2.jpg

That's some sexy watercooling St3v3!

Is you're motherboard going to fit behind that top rad?

That's some sexy watercooling St3v3!

Is you're motherboard going to fit behind that top rad?

Thank man, waiting until spring to get it up and running is somewhat murder lol... But I can't paint in the winter, nor do I have the supplies yet for modding the case.

I haven't physically set it in to see, but I've seen a video on youtube with the same rad setup that I am using in the images. So I have faith that it shouldn't be an issue. I would strip me current build to find out, but that seems like a LOT of work just to see what would boil down to ram clearance. The top rad is on a removable rail setup so I can just lift the entire top portion right out of the way for installing MB, CPU, RAM, etc...

I ordered most of the fittings I think I am going to need for the build and they have started arriving. Unfortunately the ball valve fitting I ordered from Bitspower arrived damaged and I should have a replacement figured out and shipped to me either tomorrow or after the holidays. Down to 1-2 more orders from Amazon and the all of the hardware for the loop will be purchased. I'm starting to get antsy and excited, next I can begin purchasing materials and such for the actual case mods. Man spring can't come quick enough! I will be posting pics after the holiday with the Res/Pump Combo mounted and some fittings in place to start getting and idea about this loop.

Sorry for the lack of updates in the last few months, winter got to me and I just sat on Hulu for 3 months or gamed... LOL

I just ordered the remainder of the hardware for this build, here is the completely list of hardware for this build:

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $256.97)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S2 Black – TG ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $127.19)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" Mini Valve with Black Handle, Matte Black, Body (Purchased For $32.99)
Other: PORTER-CABLE PC1500HG 1500-Watt Heat Gun (Purchased For $34.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Fitting for 12mm OD Tubing, Matte Black, 4-pack (Purchased For $33.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Fitting for 12mm OD Tubing, Matte Black, 4-pack (Purchased For $33.99)
Other: Bitspower None Chamfer PETG Link Tube, 12mm OD, 1000mm, Clear, 4-pack (Purchased For $34.99)
Other: Bitspower None Chamfer PETG Link Tube, 12mm OD, 1000mm, Clear, 4-pack (Purchased For $34.99)
Other: EK Water Blocks EK-FC1080/ 1070/ 1060 GTX Strix Backplate - Black (Purchased For $24.94)
Other: Bitspower T-Block Fitting with Triple G1/4" Female, Matte Black (Purchased For $14.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" to Enhance Multi-Link Adapter Fitting, 90° Rotary, Matte Black, 4-pack (Purchased For $72.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" 5mm Male to Male Fitting, Matte Black, 4-pack (Purchased For $25.99)
Other: PrimoChill Liquid Filling Bottle - 1000mL (Purchased For $9.99)
Other: EK-RES X3 - Reservoir Replacement Multiport TOP (Purchased For $29.95)
Other: EK-RES X3 - TUBE 250 (204mm) (Purchased For $35.00)
Other: Thermaltake CL-W153-AL00BU-A ID 10mm x OD 12mm hard tube Pacific Hard Tube Bending Kit (Purchased For $69.99)
Other: Fractal Design Flex VRC-25 PCIE x16 Extender and Vertical GPU Riser (Purchased For $46.99)
Other: Bitspower G1/4" Low-Profile Stop Fitting V2, Matte Black, 4-pack (Purchased For $22.99)
Other: TeamProfitcom PWM Fan Splitter Adapter Cable Sleeved Braided Y Splitter Computer PC 4 Pin Fan Extension Power Cable 1 to 3 Converter 10 inches (2 Pack) (Purchased For $8.99)
Other: EKWB EK-Velocity CPU Waterblock, AMD CPU, Nickel/Plexi (Purchased For $93.95)
Other: EKWB EK-CryoFuel Solid Premix Coolant, 1000mL, Electric Purple (Purchased For $111.96)
Other: EK-Vardar EVO 120ER Black BB (500-2200rpm) - Black 2 Pack (Purchased For $140.85)
Other: EK-FC1080 GTX Strix - Nickel (Purchased For $167.47)
Other: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. sl. pump) (Purchased For $204.84)
Total: $1947.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-18 14:24 EDT-0400

I will soon begin purchasing the stuff I need for modding and be actually onto building this beast. Hoping by the time I've finished modding and am on to installing that Zen2 will have launched. Also haven't committed to it yet, but I may also be grabbing a Strix 2080Ti OC as well and grab blocks for that and swap it out for the 1080.

Thanks for checking in guys, hope to start having pics/videos to upload in the coming month or so.

exciting, at this point I wouldn't blame you for waiting for Zen2.

I think we were discussing fan control a while ago. I ended up purchasing an aquacomputer QUADRO. It's marketed as a fan hub but it functions as a controller using USB functionality with the motherboard. With your rads you may be able to get away with just running a set low fan speed, but my fans were ramping up and down constantly and drove me nuts. I'll add an actual loop temp sensor down the line, but right now I'm just using the included thermocouple to measure my rad exhaust air. Now my fans run a curve based on that temp, and while they will get loud at high GPU loads, at least they ramp smoothly so it's not distracting when gaming/wearing headphones.

*UPDATE*

So I've put together the shopping list for modding the case (minus the vinyl stencils) and we are almost there folks!

Other: CableMod WideBeam Hybrid LED Kit 60cm - RGB/W ($42.95 @ Amazon)
Other: CableMod WideBeam Hybrid LED Kit 60cm - RGB/W ($42.95 @ Amazon)
Other: Source One Premium 3/16 Clear Acrylic PlexiGlass Sheet (12" X 24") ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Armour Etch Cream, 10-Ounce(a Fast Acting,1bottle) ($18.77)
Other: YATENG 10-pcs Anodized Aluminum Thumbscrews, 6#-32 Computer Case Thumbscrews, Thumb Screws (Purple) Suitable for Computer Chassis DIY Personality Modification & beautification ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Clearneon 08266A 02759 Green Aerosol Matte UV Reactive Spray Paint- 1 Bottle ($39.00)
Other: Montana Gold Tech Spray Primer Universal ($35.00)
Other: UV Lighting ($70.00)
Other: green spray paint ($15.00)
Other: purple spray paint ($15.00)
Other: Custom Power Supply Cables ($175.00)
Total: $486.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 00:04 EDT-0400

These purchase will be made over the course of the next month or so and then I can begin painting and actually updating this thread with some pics of the progress.

Back