• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24-pin ATX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordsierra4x4

I've got a decent 400 watt PSU in my machine - but i've just upgraded to an EpoX 9NPA+ Ultra from an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. On the MSI, there was a regular 20-pin ATX connection, plus a 4-pin. On the EpoX board - theres a 24-pin ATX plug as well as a 4-pin. :eh?:

I've heard that the extra 4-pins dont matter on the 24-pin ATX connector, but i cant afford a new PSU on top of everything else. Can I use my existing 20-pin connector PSU?

Yes, you can try but make sure you put the plug in the right way. You leave pins 11/12/23/24 not plugged. Not 2 on each side.

You may have an issue though, if your video card is not powered by a PCI-E connector or molex, as the extra 4 pins are for PCI-E power for hungrier devices that are powered solely by the PCI-E slot.

Well i have a GeForce 6600GT that doesnt have a molex plug on it (unlike my AGP version)....so i'm assuming it wont work and i'll need to spend $$$ on a new PSU?

just to be safe, i'd say pick up a 20-24 pin adapter

but you should be fine with the PSU that you have now

Found an adapter in Maplins for a fiver, which isnt bad, although, some people apparrently just dont need it, and leave the extra 4-pins unused.

According to the info i've managed to gather - the extra 4-pins simply provide an extra rail for heavy powered devices.

If this doesnt work with 20-pins, i'll just get an adapter as i cant afford to replace my PSU! :D

Thanks for the help though!

Back