• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

puremanb

What is the best wireless router out on the market now, or if a better one is comming out in the next month?

what do you intend to use it for?

I have had 0 problems with the Linksys WRT54G v4 or lower. v5 cannot use any 3rd party firmware.

The WRT54GL is the v4 of the WRT54G and it can accept 3rd party firmware afaik.

Unless you need something special for gaming/bandwidth I'd buy a WRT54GL. The Netgear I had choked my internet connection bad, I've had multiple D-Link's die, and I've heard nothing but problems with V5 of the WRT54G.

I want it for basicly 3 computers 2 will be for gaming which I will be using it wired and the other will be a laptop and will be wireless and just for surfing the web.

Firmware is much like a BIOS for the computer, it is software that allows you to control the hardware, as well as it containing bugfixes and performance enhancements.

You load it onto the router using the router interface. You download it in the form of a binary file, and then navigate into the router controls, and upload it.

Official firmware does not void the warranty, third party firmware is not covered by warranty.

Back