• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
First off, read my new article on the water cooling system I just setup:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1222/

I have been trying various overclocks for the last two days. I finally found a spot that the mobo/cpu enjoy. 225 X 12 = 2.7 Ghz

This machine needs to last me for at least 2 years so I decided not to get into heavy OC'ing on this rig. Originally my goal was to make my X2 4800+ (2.4Ghz) into a stable FX-60 (2.6Ghz). This goal was achieved with relative ease at a vcore of 1.375.

2.6 Ghz, a relatively low overclock had complete stability so I decided to up the clock without going above a 1.45 vcore as my next goal. Throughout testing I decided to keep the ram at a 1:1 divider and stock timings because the clock multiplier on the FSB was still at 12X. Before finding a decent overclock I decided to tinker around a bit. Incredibly I was able to reach 240 X 12 = 2880 but with a sacrifice @ 1.5 vcore and a 45*C load temp on water cooling. It booted into Windows but stability was a real issue, crashing on a 2 Meg SuperPi and restarting windows after 2 minutes of Prime95 and CPU Burn In. I could tell the CPU needed a DFI board and more voltage so I decided to call it quits on the "no fly zone".

Back to my original goal. I found a nice running spot @ 2.7 Ghz and tested with a 1.4 vcore. Fifteen minutes into Prime95 and CPU Burn In, the computer shut down. I popped in a 1.44 Vcore, just under my goal of less than 1.45 and called it a night. I left the computer on overnight with a continuous Prime95 Torture Test Blend on one core, and a CPU Burn In on the other core for a total of around 7 hours of torture. She has stability @ 1.44vcore 225 X 12 and 2.7 Ghz.

New temps under this configuration on a full Danger Den Water cooling setup netted around 29*C idle and a 38*C load. With no overclock @ stock vcore my setup idles @ 16*C and loads at 22,24*C so you can see that a simple overclock to 2.7Ghz definitely heats up the water a bit.

Today I ran another Prime95/CPU Burn In for about 45 minutes, and I ran a CPU-Z validation as well:

load27.JPG

27cpuz.JPG

Cheers.

Dom

Last edited:
I know im in the wrong place, but I read your article, impressed with the quality of the photos.
Wouldn't be right if you got no reply in this post.

great write-up! I'm about to do this on my rig in march, so you've gone a long way in documenting the process!

well done!

Guys,
You are going to hate me for doing this but, that new water cooling system I just installed is SOLD.. I got the craving for phase change extreme cooling rather rapidly. I will be ordering a Vapochill Lightspeed in Black/Aluminum in a few weeks. This means I am going against everything that I said I wasnt going to do with this rig. LOL Thanks for the compliments on the article BTW. :)

Dom

Back