• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Suddenly Restarts When Plugging in External Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentcatoe

Registered
This is weird, I will plug in my external hard drive by either firewire of USB and my computer suddenly restarts. I go to event viewer and here is the error message I get

"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( m4301a ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: , Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter v4.0."

I dont see what the problem could be, I noticed it listed my wireless adapter in the error report so I unplugged it for the heck of it and when a few seconds after plugging in my HD it restarts again, I can here the little sound that windows makes when you plug in a plug and play device but after that it restarts. Does anyone know what the problem could be. It isnt overheating or anything and I have run memory and hard drive test and everything shows up fine. Should I uninstall the drivers for my wireless card and try it again, I would really hate to do that unless I have to because alil of my settings would be thrown away. Thanks in advance for the help.

It is likely a driver-interaction issue. Do you have any other devices plugged into USB?

just my bluetooth mouse and my wireless adapter that is all. Now that I look at it I dont think it is my wireless adapter because I went back and looked at the logs some more and I have that same error about once a day so I dont think that is causing the restart.

Ok I found the problem, It was a program called File Secure v3.91 that I had installed. I did a search on another forum and another person was having the same problem and said to uninstall it so I did and everything is working fine now.

Back