• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmick

Registered
I have a Dell I9300 with a centrino 1.6. I want to upgrade the processor because it is kind of too slow for my liking. I can't seem to find centrinos anymore, so I was wondering if the pentium m would work the same.

ill trade you my 1.73ghz 533fsb centrino for your 1.6 *if* it is 400fsb :)

free upgrade for you. contact me via pm

also, there is no such thing as a centrino processor.

they use the pentium-m CPUs

Xenocide said:
ill trade you my 1.73ghz 533fsb centrino for your 1.6 *if* it is 400fsb :)

free upgrade for you. contact me via pm

also, there is no such thing as a centrino processor.

they use the pentium-m CPUs
you wouldnt take advantage of a noob now would you?also no trading outside the classifieds.

shmick if indeed your cpu is a 400 fsb model 725 it can be pinmodded to run 2.13ghz.

if your not able to what you should be looking for is dothan cored pentium-m's,centrino is just a moniker given when a pentium-m is used in an intel wireless laptop.

Centrino is _NOT_ a CPU :)

Centrino is just label that denotes the following:
Intel CPU
Intel Wireless
Intel Chipset

You can perform the pinmodd if it is 400FSB and (*I think correct me if I'm wrong*) a 900+ chipset.

In a laptop, I would consider more RAM then a faster CPU because on a battery, I like it to last as long as possible(800mhz @ .7V gives me 5h 30m+, talk about battery optimization!)

But your using a 9300 which isn't really portable so you may be using it as a destop replacement, I still suggest more ram then 512, 1gb to me is minimum.

sorry but my 1.6 is a 533mhz. i wish it was the 400, i would have tried that pin mod someone posted awhile back, that kicked ***. i am just looking to max it out. newegg i think has some 1.7's that i was thinking about pin modding, but i don't know if it will get to hot, the a05 bios update makes my laptop red hot as it is. Battery life has sucked since day one, 2 hours if i am lucky so that isn't an issue, and it isn't my primary computer, i use it for school and laying in bed, my primary is the opty150 in the sig. i originally bought the laptop for playing games, but fear doesn't take to well to it. that is why i was considering upgrading the ram which i have already purchased off newegg, 2gig mushkin dual channel package, and i was giong to upgrade to something over 2ghz.

thanks for clearing up centrino, i dont' know much about intel except i dont like them. those may have been fighting words, but if dell offered amd, which from what i read yesterday they might be close to signing a contract for the laptops first, then servers and desktops by the end of the year, i would rather have gone amd. the last intel i owned before this was a 200 mmx. if that doesn't bring back memories, i dont know what will.

the reason i got the laptop though through dell if anyone cares is because i work at fairchild semiconductor, a company that gets a purchase program through dell, so when i bought it, it was like 2300 dollars, and i was able to get it for 1400, so if you can save 900 dollars, then might as well get it. didn't need it, but i wanted a laptop.

thanks guys for the help

dude guys....

the i9300 only comes with 533mhz processors... so he dosent have a 400fsb cpu...

Need I remind you that the harddrive is the largest bottleneck and you can easily increase the peformance of your laptop by removing spyware and cleaning up the un necessary background processes...

anyways if you want to go the pinmodding route I can give you about 5 different web pages with information + guidelines but you would need a 400mhz fsb processor...

if you just want to upgrade your cpu you should try looking for pentium m 770 or 780

you have a 730 right now... and if you want to do the pinmod (which will save you a couple of bucks) then you will need a 725 or a 735...

Back