• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of a Dual Opteron System but Need Help with Motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

Well, I have some extra money to spend, and I'm thinking of an extra setup based on a pair of Opteron 240s. However, I really don't know which motherboard to purchase.

I was thinking of a MSI K8T Master2-FAR, as it's cheap, a decent brand, cheap, and also cheap. It's also AGP, and saves me the trouble of having to get a PCI-E video card. Overclocking would be a boon, but it isn't really that necessary.
However, if it has any major problems, then I would probably avoid it.

I also looked at the Asus K8N-DL but that costs quite a bit more and is also PCIE. I just want this setup to tinker with and to use as a nice server, so I don't need to get a high end motherboard such as this Asus.

I was also thinking of a dual S462 or Xeon setup instead. However, dual 462 motherboards are still very expensive for what you get and I'm not really interested in running another S462 based system.
I don't think I wouldn't need too much advice on a Xeon based system in this thread as the appropriate stickies are already in place. ;)

Thanks for any help.

The ASUS is real nice, I have a K8T-Master2 Far and it is rock solid stable... I would get the K8N or the K8T Master2 Far7 as both of those support dual core...quasi-future proof...

Also, what are the power requirements? I'm assuming a 500W+ High quality PSU. I'll probably only have one optical drive and one hard drive in the system, with maybe a ti4200 as video.

I have the K8N-DL. Nice and quiet when fan control is turned on, and it's super stable. Up to you of course, but this is the motherboard I have for the game server.

I've had two MSI K8T Master2-FARs and three Asus K8N-DLs. All good boards, nice and stable. Forget OC with the MSI K8T Master2-FAR since there aren't any "locks". The K8N-DL overclocks well with ClockGen, but very little through the BIOS.

Similar question

Hi, i have similar question as Aslan

My rig will be assigned those tasks:
1) 3dsmax rendering: top priority
2) FPS gaming, FPS game hosting.
3) when idle, folding :D

I will use 2x 265 (multi 9x) opteron, water cooling. Therefore, i need the highest HTT board. Lurking around 2cpu forum, i heard that MSI K8N Master2 can reach 300HTT, is there any other choice beside Asus K8N DL ?

For GPU, i will use geforce 6800gt/ultra modding to quadro for cost saving. PCIE or AGP is ok.

I'm a poor student, so please suggest the cheapest board guys :santa:

Last edited:
Back