• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

correct cpu speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyBerGOd909

Registered
just fixed up a dell laptop, which is an inspirion 5100. Put a 2.8ghz cpu and was wondering if this is the correct speed it runs at? i think im confused a tad.

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 147
Could be Speedstep dropping the multiplier down. I assume that CPU-Z screen is when running on battery? Try running off of AC adapter, that should kick it up to full (21x multiplier).

ya that was running off the ac adapter, says the same thing. Under properties for my computer says its a Mobile Inter P4 cpu 2.80ghz , 1.59ghz. Tried using the speedstep prog even and its still at 1600. Gonna try a differ chip and see if it runs full speed.

k a lil update i popped in this other p4 2.4 chip i had from a differ 5100. Its just listed as an Intel p4 cpu @ 2.4 ghz. Shows up correct speeds. Where as I guess the other chip is mobile, and is getting stuck somehow at 1.6 or maybe thats what its supposed to run at ? im wondering if at 1.6 on a mobile = 2.8ghz performance rating? also it seems to be running cooler then the other chip just feeling the palmrest and keypad over where the heatsink is.

Last edited:
there is no speedstep in this dell bios unless its hidden . ill try to change the power scheme see if it matters

ok, with the 2.4 in there the system runs hot as hell. and gives me an actual 2.4 ghz rating. the 2.8 stays deadlockd at 1600 mhz regardless of powerschemes and even running prime and runs nice and cold. Im wondering if thats the actual clock speed of a 2.8 mobile? I think the only thing left is to run a benchmark of both cpus and see which scores higher

*update Ok I just noticed im my ram is at 133 in cpu z. The ram I have in there is pc2700 (333). Still stuck at 1.6 and even doing benchmark with sandra its close to p4 1.6ghz speeds. Any dell laptop experts have any ideas?

Last edited:
hey man i was reading up on the speed step problem today

inorder to turn of speed step and run full all the time go into control panal and click on power options

as soon as it comes up you will see a screen called power schemes and you will see a pulldown menu in a square

set this option to always on and hit apply

in windows 2000 theres an option to turn of speed step but not on xp...this is the only way to fool it into turning off

if it does not work you have a bigger problem

Back