• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Trace Repair Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

I have this Epox 4G-4A mobo with a blown AGP trace. I forgot how it happened but I want to use an AGP card with it and it doesn't work. The board has integrated video so I know everything still works fine, just no AGP.
Here is a picture of the blown trace. Do you think I can repair it?
trace.jpg

How would I solder it? Just put solder of the discolored trace?

that looks like a very simple trace repair. what i say you do:

get some wire, tin it with the soldering iron, and clean off the trace (also tin that), then place the wire over the trace, and solder it on both sides. cover it up with something

How do i clean off the trace? Do i get an exacto knife and lift and remove the discolored part?

The discoloured part is the actual trace. It looks to me like high current burnt off the protective coating and then melted the trace in two. It is a fairly large trace so it should be very easy to fix. Just put a bit of solder where the trace has split to connect it and it should be fine. just let the iron heat it for a little bit, the flux in the solder should clean it for you. It also looks as if the trace is pealing off the board if worse comes to worse and the trace comes off completely use a small piece of insulated wire to go from the pads of the trace. (the parts withthe little holes)
Good luck.

a little bit of stranded wire, some solder, and you should be fine. good luck!

i'd scratch off the green / purple, whatever color stuff used on that board... with an xacto knife.

Back