• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important is a heatspreader?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slaps

just on timings alone, I would go with the GSkill with the heatspreader. 2.5-3-3-6 vs 3-4-4-8.

As for the heatspreader, its only good if the contact between the interface material and the memory IC's are good. GSkill is pretty good with that (from what little I've seen) so it won't hurt to have them.

:welcome: to the forums

Know Nuttin said:
just on timings alone, I would go with the GSkill with the heatspreader. 2.5-3-3-6 vs 3-4-4-8.

As for the heatspreader, its only good if the contact between the interface material and the memory IC's are good. GSkill is pretty good with that (from what little I've seen) so it won't hurt to have them.

:welcome: to the forums

Cool, thanks.

Heatspreaders on memory are pretty much useless in my opinion...
Unless you are heavily overvolting some BH5, ram doesn't usually produce enough heat to warrant a heatspreader. And when you are heavily overvolting some BH5 or other voltage hungry ram, the heatspreaders usually impede the cooling of the chips due to poor thermal pad application.
I think the manufacturers started putting heatspreaders on their ram so they could fit an oversized company logo and a warranty void if removed sticker on the ram...
Heatspreaders aren't bad, they just don't really do anything at all.

Mine get ultra hot, if they get hot that means they're working! I think they're great, but only if the contact is good, as know nuttin' pointed out.

It makes them easier to install or take out also.
You don't have to worry about not touching the IC's.

Beginner said:
most here put fans over their heatspreaderless ram as i will be doing(bh-5 @ 3.2v)

I will think about that, however it would take some moving stuff around to get that.

kovboi said:
an interesting snippet on heat spreader design here.
That article presents something I have been saying for a long time. Even if the RAM
incorporated a good TIM, which many do not, most heatspreaders provide no
increase in heat dissipation area. They are basically a piece of sheet metal.

Does anyone know how well crucial heatspreaders are? I have the ballistix 3200 with the gold heatspreaders but they have about 3mm of white padding in between the ram module and the actual heatspreader?

thanks
Bryan d

Darkdashing said:
effect is debatable, but there is no negatives to having some on.

the positive effect is debatable with good spreaders, yes, however your better taking the spreaders off if your unsure they are getting good contact. because not only will a bad speader not disapate the heat, it will block air flow to the chip(s) and prevent heat disappation through that means. so dont just slap on any heat spreaders for the sake of having them on.

Back