• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince me to remove my IHS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

My chips has been running a bit hot lately. Even with fan @ full speed ~2700 RPM, it is hitting 46° load on many ocassions. That's with 2 80mm fans sucking air out, and a AC5 on full speed as well.

Do you guys think this is enough of a reason to give it a go?

Dan

My reason was the temp's and also I cant resist not moding something. I'am afraid I will remove my IHS from my opty but I would like to keep it intake for @least a good yr or maybe less. I did it on my a64 3000 newcastle and gained both lower temp's with a better overclock. Wasn't much but I enjoyed knowing that I did it and it still work even better then it did stock.

I don't suggest removing the ihs unless your oc is below what is expected on average, that is because most of the time this is caused by hot spots which do not effect the overall temp but only a small part of the chip which holds the overclock back. To remove it to get lower temps and higher oc in my opinion is not worth the trouble and the risk of damaging the chip.

46C Load is not that high considering its overclocked... Even if it was not...

I couldn't take the chance of messing it up...I sure won't be someone to encourage you to do it. You paid for it, you do what you want. :)

I removed the HS on my old 3000+ winnie and the cpu never worked again, Im not going to remove the HS again, if you are, just make sure you have enough money to buy a new one

If you can afford to replace it then go ahead and do it, if not then don't take the chance. I've removed the IHS on my last three cpu's and they all still work so if your careful you should be ok. Your gains from the removal may vary greatly, one chip netted me 100mhz the others just got me a 5ºc drop in temps on average.

Why not get a nice Antec P180 like i got? It brought my temps down a nice 10 C with my winchester. And with decent cooling it will help any cpu.

i removed mine last week and if you arent running water cooling then its not worth it IMO. It might be that mine doesnt like my Xp-120 but my temps were better with it on, this is after removing the sink 5 times and shaving the HS braket religiously. I am going to put the IHS back on if someone knows the best way to do it!

Hey, if you remove IHS your gonna HAVE TO GO WATERCOOLING...cause there are NO air cooling HSs that can do IHS-less. That will be a big PITA.

At any rate, even if you did go IHS-less, it's dangerous because you can easily damage the core. You can even damage other parts of the CPU in the removal process.

Plus, 46C at load isn't that bad, you might wanna re-seat your HS, or try ducting the CPU HS. Try anything but removing the IHS first to get your temps down dude, it's not worth the risk.

jcw122

I have had no problem with my slk-948u when using both IHS cpu's and non IHS cpu's maybe it depend's on the board and socket.

As for damaging the core I would suggest using some xp pad's on all 4 corners after IHS is removed.

jonspd said:
jcw122

I have had no problem with my slk-948u when using both IHS cpu's and non IHS cpu's maybe it depend's on the board and socket.

As for damaging the core I would suggest using some xp pad's on all 4 corners after IHS is removed.

Hmm, sry bout that, didn't know those thinks could handle IHS-less CPUs (wait...they were for A-XP, weren't they?)

jcw122 said:
Hey, if you remove IHS your gonna HAVE TO GO WATERCOOLING...cause there are NO air cooling HSs that can do IHS-less. That will be a big PITA.
Really?... I've got 2 "naked" cpu's running on air hs'. One is a Zalman and the other a Coolermaster. You might have to do a little modification but there are air cooling hs, the ones that bolt through the mb, that can work.
BTW, I am running water on this one.
But I agree with the above, if you can't afford to replace it, don't do it.

I like the hard hat on my cpu, makes me feel better when wrestling with my hs while trying to get it on.

I have to agree I havn't even passed 40c full load @ 2.7ghz+ yet with IHS on so I really think it's going to stay there.

Maybe I did a good job on HS installation IDK.

Meh, I'm hitting 38c load so the only reason I would ever attempt to do it is if I was really bored and I didn't care, but I love my 3000+ venice too much.

46C load ain't too bad. If your running stock heatsink its kinda reasonable. If you have an aftermarket heatsink though i suggest you learn to mount properly.

I'm running xp-120 on mine, dropped 10C when i threw it on. Currently up .2volts and 700mhz and still running 30C... so i cant see any reason why you would risk damaging your cpu, to take the ihs off, just for 2-5C difference. just spend $50 on a good heatsink and you will be another 5-7C lower without any risk at all.

Ive broke 2 from removing the IHS. And not by removing it but months later by re-applying the waterblocks. There just to fragile to work with after removal. If ur constantly messing with ur setup removing the heatsink or waterblock then eventually u will break a resistor off or chip the core. Its just tooo easy. Both times i removed it did not help overclocks at all. Temps did go down just a tad bit but no way near worth it.

Back