• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please tell me this will work...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I haven't started putting anything together for my build yet, because I'm waiting to get a few more parts, but I was looking at my video card today (eVGA 7800GT PCI-e) and the manual was saying something to the effect that it is recommended to have an Athlon X2 processor. I have an A64 (3700+). Please tell me this card and this processor will get along and play well together.... I would hate to have to spend more money on another CPU right now.

A 7800GT will work with just about any processor as long as the mobo has a PCI-E slot. I think the "recommendation" is just a ploy to get more money out of you.

Soichiro said:
A 7800GT will work with just about any processor as long as the mobo has a PCI-E slot. I think the "recommendation" is just a ploy to get more money out of you.

I agree^^^ I dont think there is any reason why it shouldn't

I've never heard anything from anyone to the effect that it wouldn't be a compatible setup, but the manual - frankly - freaked me out!

At the same time, it doesn't make sense to me why a video card designed for PCI-e wouldn't work on a Mobo also designed for it with a processor designed for that board, no matter if it's dual core or not, which in itself is only a matter of preference since both single and dual cores will work on the board. Did ya get all that?....LOL

But I'm praying that all will go as planned. :cool:

Back